1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are some good BLN-1 clone batteries you've used?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dougjgreen, Aug 2, 2014.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I just picked up a 2nd hand E-M1, and it only has the one OEM battery. What are some good batteries and suppliers folks have dealt with that are fully coded and compatible with the BLN-1 and the Olympus charger?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    In general, Wasabi batteries have worked well for me across a range of cameras. My BLN-1s are early generics before the chip was decoded, though - don't remember what brand but don't think it's relevant now. Never had trouble with them though.

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Have had a good experience thus far with 4 Progo batteries picked up on Amazon, and they thankfully show their level of charge in the camera.

4. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    +1. Progo batteries are chipped so they show correct battery level on my E-M5. It also gets similar battery life to my OEM battery. I've read that Wasabi batteries are not chipped.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm using two kinds of chipped batteries labelled Maximal Power and Progo. I have two more batteries that won't work in the BCN-1 charger, but have their own generic charger.

Based on what I have seen, these chipped batteries aren't fully compatible with the BCN-1. They stop charging short of full capacity. They still run my EM5. but give less shots of course. When I put them in the above generic charger after the BCN-1 shuts off, they will resume charging. Since I want maximum capacity. I have to use a generic charger anyway so there's no big advantage here. By the way, if you put an Olympus battery in the generic charger, it comes out lower because the generic charger is set up for a lower voltage battery. Travel requires me to bring both chargers.

Check this guys posts about BLS-5 batteries on the DPR forum. He is saying the the clone battery makers are not truthful about the capacity on the labels. In the case of BLN1 batteries, they are likely exaggerating the 7.6 volt too. Everyone one I own says 7.6, just like Olympus, but I believe they are really 7.4 volt chemistry.

That said, with all the fiction on the labels, and the need to use a generic charger, I do OK with generic batteries in my EM5. I just have to carry more of them, but they are cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, I just bought a Maximal Power chipped battery. It only cost $10, so I see it as low risk. We'll see if it's any good.

7. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Been using a couple Progo batteries myself. They been holding just about the same charge as the OEM and can be charged with the OEM charger.

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I bought two EZO Power. They are cheap. They work. They stop working without warning. They hold little charge. They will be binned.
    I bought a second genuine one and will get a third.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    There are several other threads about the same subject matter.

I have several Progo batteries that I've been using for over a year along with a Progo charger that travels with me. I charge Olympus or Progo batteries in the Olympus or Progo chargers with very little side effect. I'm not worried in one brand gets 50 more photos than the other, I just swap them out when needed. But I've noticed little if any difference.