What are chances of EM5 successor having VF4?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Steven, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    What are the chances of EM5 successor model getting the same big VF4 finder as EM1?
    Many people seem to think Olympus will not use it to reduce costs .
    I am torn between getting an EM5 now or waiting for new model. Bigger VF4 viewfinder possibilty keeps me waiting. Yes, I know it will be more expensive but worth it for me.
    I am not even considering possibility of Olympus not releasing a follow up model, even though it might eat into their EM1 sales. I mean , all those accessories sold like battery grips have to go somewhere , right ?
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why not just go with the E-M1 if the VF is so important?

Otherwise I'd buy a used E-M5 for ~$600 or a refurb for a bit more and wait and see what the next announcement brings. If you are on the fence about the decision purchasing a brand new E-M5 seems like the worst idea.
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    EM1 is expensive and has features I don't need like 4/3 lens support. Very importantly , I also like the way Em5 looks more :)
    I don't NEED another camera now so I can wait, but those used Em5 deals sure are tempting .
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually I wouldn't mind an E-M5 replacement with the EVF upgrade, 1/8000th shutter and focus peaking. It would lower the price of the E-P5 so I could buy one. :smile:
  5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Well, if you wait for the EM5 successor (EM-7? EM-2? This numbering system, sheesh . . .) to come out, then the deals on the EM5 will be even more tempting.

At least I'm hoping so. :)
  6. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    There are a lot of features in the E-M1 that have nothing to do with 4/3 lens support (the great EVF being one). I have the E-M1 and don't have any 4/3 lenses and likely never will.
  7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    If you can't wait, the VF-4 actually works on the E-M5. The double bump ain't pretty but the tilt feature is nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    100 freakin' percent. Doh!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It almost certainly will, the bit question is when that camera will come out, and I wouldn't expect it will be for at least another year.
  10. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I suspect when E-M5 stocks fade, the E-M1 will be its replacement.
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    hrm, I dunno. They have gone out of their way to explicitly say the E-M1 is a new line in the OM-D family. It's like a 70D and 7D... probably will continue this way. The real issue is how pricing fits with an E-P5. I say ditch it and make a mirror of Sigma's DPx lineup ;)
  12. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    To OP: the deals will be even sweeter when/if a successor is available, right? I'm right there with you... However, there are no rumors of E-M5 successors coming soon, that I know at least. Have you heard anything?
  13. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    There will be an E-M5 replacement next year and it will have the VF-4.

I'm also available for reading of palms and tea leaves.

But seriously, the E-M5 will be 2 years old next year, which in camera terms makes it an old man. The E-M5 has been such a huge hit for Olympus so we'll definitely see a new version. By then cost of the VF-4 will be lower, allowing Olympus to put it into the $1000 E-M5 successor.

VF-4, 1/8000 shutter, ISO 100, and better rear screen are givens, IMO. What will be interesting to watch is whether they use the same sensor or the PDAF-capable sensor of the E-M1. I'm hoping for the latter but that might be too much to hope for. There would be very few selling points for the E-M1 at that point, but maybe being the underdog that they are they'll be more willing to cannibalize higher end sales than stodgy old Canon and Nikon.
  14. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    PM with palm scan sent :)
  15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I'm 100% sure it will have at least the E-M1's EVF. The release isn't until spring so who knows if it's equipped with an even better EVF... ;)
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't doubt they'll release a successor. I doubt it'll get the PDAF (probably will remain the major differentiator between the M1 and M5 series), and I wouldn't count on being able to use the same accessory grip.
  17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    The 43rumors site quoted somebody in Olympus saying there will be a new follow up model. I don't think any specs were discussed .
    I am afraid anything new might not be for a while because Olympus will wait to sell as many Em1 as they can before bringing out Em6.
    Oh well, I don't really need a camera. Maybe I should get some more lenses in the meantime. Yeah, that s the ticket :)