What application is best to test my windows 7 computer for hardware errors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duffis, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Duffis

Duffis New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm getting crazy BSODs all over the place. I run Windows 7 ultimate x64. I have scanned for rootkits, virii, malware, and every other software hiccup with a great many programs and am convinced my hardware is to blame. So a program that goes into great depth with this would be great!

Seo Services India
  2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    I haven't used Windows for years (Mac user now) so I'm not the best person to answer your question but I did come across this web site that may be worth a look.

Troubleshoot instantly with the Windows 7 System Diagnostic Report | TechRepublic

Another option is to try a system roll back to before you started getting the BSOD. The final option is to backup your data and do a clean re-install followed by auto updating the OS. If you still get the BSOD after this try reseating all of the removable components on the motherboard (you may want to try this before you do anything else)
  3. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    did you try reinstalling windows?
  4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Indeed, doing that is not as bad a task as it might seem if your data is safe somewhere.
    I would have thought that there is something on the internet to say if all the important bits of your machine behave with W7 64bit.

Did the problems start as soon as you'd installed W7 or after a while?
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What exactly are you doing when it starts? What was the last piece of hardware you installed? How tech savvy are you? Hardware problems are generally handled by a "eliminate one thing on this list, then move to the next". Be it thru BIOS testing of the hard-drive or memory, re-seating any new hardware, checking case temps. etc. Any hardware problems I have handled with existing software, and downloaded some freeware testing software for various parts of my machine (usually use manufacturers software, downloaded at the same time I check for updated drivers).

If you want to PM me, I have worked both retail and corporate IT support, and seen quite a bit. I can walk you through some of the first, second, third step things.
  6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    From bitter experience, a bad memory stick is one of the trickiest things to diagnose, because it will throw random errors that look like something happened to your CPU, mother board, video card, hard drive, or software installation.