1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What app for iPad2 do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Wasabi Bob, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Elsewhere on this site I found a discussion about tablet PC's. Just discovered that my wife bought me a iPad2 for Christmas. I'm wondering what photographic apps those of you who own an iPad find particularly useful?

Happy Holidays!

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Snapseed, Filterstorm, Photogene, Photo fx Ultra, PhotoForge - the list goes on and on. My favorite by far is Snapseed, by Nik.

3. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    360 Panorama, Pro HDR are my favorites. Both are paid apps, a few dollars. I think there is a Pro HDR Free version. Both apps works on the iPad2 and iPhone3GS/4.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Snapseed is the app that I like best. Much better than pretty much everything else I have tried so far. Being a Zenfolio user I also quite like their app.

Also...Super 8 and Hipstamatic fall into the "OMG that is way fin category".

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Snapseed is the best! I use only two apps (Snapseed about 80% of time and PhotoForge about 20% of time) on my iPad.

On a side note, don't waste your money on PiRAWnha. This is the only RAW converter for iPad I am aware of, and it's really slow, buggy and unstable.

6. GPS4CAM, puts gps coding on all cameras providing the can accurately photgraph the QR code generated on the iPhone. I use the Macro mode and really have no problem other than hand shaking. uping the ISO or increasing the light solves the problem. Again the QR code must be photographed using the camera you want the GPS tagging on. You are not restricted to a single camera. To play Ive used the same generated code with three cameras same trip.

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

While we're talking about iPads ... I have a question. I'm thinking of getting one actually mostly for the e-book capabilities but may use web browsing and slide shows etc.

If one is doing the iCloud thingy and only using it wi-fi (have my own network at home) is there any real reason to shell out the bucks for the high capacity storage version? Don't all your books, pics, whatever stay in the cloud?

:confused:

8. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If you're only going to use at home, WiFi only/low storage capacity should work. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with lots of travel and many places where WiFi is unavailable or expensive. I have 3G/high capacity model. Guess that's why they sell six different configurations.

9. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    MO
    Tried lots of photo apps but use these: Photogene, Snapseed, PhotoForge, most of the time.

10. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    Snapseed by Nik if great. It was named apple's app of the year. My favorite app!

11. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    Oh, and I recommend the higher capacity iPad if you want to carry movies or tv shows. You can have tv shows you buy from iTunes in the cloud but downloads of the HD versions require fast internet speed.
    I like to load movies and shows and then stream to the apple tv.

Don

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    How accurate is the color on the iPad and can it be calibrated?

Fred

13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am shocked, SHOCKED, nobody mentioned the Mu-43.com app! Other camera forumites are jealous.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have found my 1st gen iPad color to be pretty close , as good as the cinema dispalys{out of the box}. The only adjustment is the brightness , at least built-in. There might be an app out there that allows for color correction?

A couple of apps that I like are Photo FX Ultra by Tiffen and if you do any product shooting for ebay or such Softbox Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  15. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yes on iPhone, no on iPad. Safari easier to use than mu-43 app on iPad.

16. Craig

Craig New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2010
    Toronto
    You can use a spider calibrator in conjunction with their Spydergallery iPad app and your desktop computer. It creates a color profile for your iPad and stores it within the app. To view all of your new color correct images you simply upload images as you normally would to the Photos app on the iPad but instead of using the Photo app to view your images you use the Spydergallery app with the new color correction to view all of your images.

I hope all that makes sense.

Craig

17. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Pretty accurate out of the box. I often use it as secondary display for my MacBook Pro (with the help of AirDisplay) and color-wise it's as good as my big IPS monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm also shocked that nobody's mentioned Angry Birds...oh wait, photo apps....nevermind.

Seriously, a depth of field calculator is nice. I've got Field Tools. Cheap. Easy.

19. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011

I sat a grid of five of them down one day, 4 brand new, and have to say, they aren't very calibrated. All were set to auto brightness on the same table, so it should have been fairly accurate. I noticed 3 were warm and 2 were cool. Not sure if there is a "break in" needed, but even mine that I had for a little while was on the warmer side. So yeah, I don't think they are calibrated all that great. Wish i had taken a photo.....

20. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Obviously there is some sample variation, but my iPad 2 is very close to my calibrated IPS display.