What am I sacrificing by using live view only?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Johnny1.33, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I do not like EVF. I have not used it on a Panasonic or Olympus, but I have on Sony. Just not for me. I like OVF, but that's not going to happen on m4/3.

What will I be missing by using live view only? What will I be hindered from? What kinds of photography will I be unable to do effectively or consistently?

Thanks for help.
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Birds in flight are tough without a viewfinder. As is any action shooting. Telephoto hand held is augmented by having the camera braced against your forehead. You don't get the problem with trying to see the rear screen when in bright sunlight. That's off the top of my head. :smile:
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're missing out on a non-washed view when shooting in bright sunlight, more than anything else. If using manual focus, then the magnifier can handle well for accurate fine-tuned focus, however it's a slower process. So manual focus with fast action requires an EVF in my opinion.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You would be missing out on the surprise you sometimes get when the final image turns out to be nothing like what you saw through the OVF :smile:
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, how true Nic.
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    your missing out on the added stability that a camera pressed to your eye offers over holding it at arms length

on the other hand you are gaining the opportunity to move your camera into positions that you wouldn't otherwise think about.

but at the end of the day its not the camera that takes the photo... its the photographer

1)decide what kind of photos you want to take
    2) the reasons why you are taking them/what you want to do with them

then choose the right tool for the job.... define the two points above and then come back and ask the question again

7. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Besides all of the already listed functional advantages of the viewfinder over the screen, to me it adds more involvement and therefore pleasure in the pictures shooting process.

It feels like... it's just the frame and me, in an intimate recirpocal relationship.
    I realize just now it sound funny :rofl: but that's the way it is!

I'm not sure wheather it leads me to take better pictures or not, but it probably does :smile:

Of course, this is strictly subjective :thumbup:
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is no real advantage gained in stability by holding a camera up to your eye vs. holding it anywhere else. The problem is not the camera, but in people's posturing and learned behavior from shooting SLRs for so long.

When you use the LCD, you don't hold the camera straight out in front of you at eye level with hands on both sides with no support like you see people doing with their point-and-shoots. Would you hold a handgun that way and expect it to be stable? Of course not... When you hold a camera using the LCD, you brace yourself with one hand under the camera for support just like a handgun, and that hand is usually braced against something like with your elbow tucked into your belly or chest (depending on the angle of your shot). Being able to shoot at those lower angles does nothing but HELP to get a more stable position in many cases, over having to hold the camera up high by your head, which causes an unnatural extension of the arms at an angle which weakens them.

Both types of positioning can be just as stable. When Non-Reflex system cameras started coming out, the more experienced photographers were simply too accustomed to using eye-level finders for so many years that many of us (myself included!) noticed a lack of stability in shots when initially migrating to the new system. People like me have never used a DSLR any other way than with the optical viewfinder (ie, many of us have never bothered with Live View on a DSLR). However, after using the E-P1 PEN for a while, I soon found that my shots eventually became just as stable as with the DSLR, after I learned to adapt MYSELF to the new system. It is not the camera which had to adapt, but me. Also, it reduces the fatigue of holding a camera too high for long periods of time - it's not just the reduction in size/weight which is doing that.

Of course, point-and-shoot users would not notice the difference anyways... so it is only the voice of experienced SLR users which was noticed. An experienced user in either form of camera can be just as stable.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm part of the minority that likes composing on the LCD. It's not quite like composing on a ground glass, but it comes close to that experience.

On the other hand, I did buy an evf for my Pens since I found I couldn't effectively use MF legacy lenses without it. The evf transforms that experience. It also gives added stability (as has been mentioned) particularly for longer focal lengths. But over all, I enjoy the flexibility and freedom of the LCD. I can take the picture anywhere I can put my hands! All of this winds up being style of shooting and personal preference.
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a OVF on my E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm. I also like the monitor.
  11. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I too shoot from the LCD. It is a preference for me. In thousands of shots I've probably missed the framing because of the light a couple of dozen times, at most. They were easily fixed with a little cropping.

I think that if I were shooting birds or moving object via telephoto I would change my game.

Otherwise I feel the shots I gain with this method far outweigh the losses by not shooting through a viewfinder. In fact, my next camera will have an articulating LCD as I miss that from my point and shoot.

12. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    I have been surprised by how much I don't notice or am even thankful that I'm composing with the LCD. As others have said, it allows holding the camera in what would be very awkward positions if your eye had to be where the camera is (uh oh, now I'm using my imagination, thinking of how that might read to some people! :redface:). Anyway, I am a 20-year SLR shooter and was guilty of point-and-shoot bias when it came to composing with the LCD. No more. I have the LVF for the GF-1, and I use it with manual focus lenses (as mediocre as that particular LVF is), but otherwise, I feel a freedom not having to use a view finder.

Also, as others have said, things like live histogram and reasonably accurate depiction of exposure are benefits of either EVF or LCD screen.

I still love a good OVF split-screen with a prism ring around the split, but I'm happy where I am now without it, too.
  13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Why is that not going to happen? OVF's are available that will mount on the hotshoe(if available). There's nothing stopping you from getting an OVF that matchs a prime lens from another manufacturer.
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think I'm too spoilt on framing "through the lens" (whether it be by OVF, EVF, or rear screen) to use a clip-on OVF. I really want to be seeing exactly the same view as the sensor.
  15. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    One major consideration overlooked in the discussion is your battery life. The LCD screen really sucks the juice. -Chrome
  16. nueces snapper

Yeah, I forgot that part. :biggrin:
  17. nueces snapper

Good point. :thumbup:
  18. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I finally got the chance to use a VF-2 last week at the camera store. I can't say I liked it at all. The resolution wasn't what I'd hoped, the colors were terrible, and I had to squish my big greasy nose up against the screen in order to squint through it. It's also terribly ungainly perched on top of what is otherwise a slick little package.

Mainly it was a disappointment because I didn't feel that it allowed me any better chance of nailing manual focus without using the magnifier, which was why I was interested in it.

My conclusion is that I am completely spoiled by the awesome screen on the E-P3. Also, Olympus has no interest in me being able to MF quickly.

I know there are a lot of pro-EVF photographers here, so there must be some value in it, but not for me. I would urge anyone to "try before you buy" on the EVFs.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I've used EVFs since the G1 came out, and never turned back. Even back then the quality was more than enough to allow me to compose and take great photos, and the added info overlay is WAY more useful than the plain 'ole OVF can make up in clarity. The fact that I can see the actual sensor image rather than what the lens sees is critical for my photos. I can only imagine the EVF on the E-M5 will be better.
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    After decades of using an OVF ... I never really had that problem.