What after Panasonic 20

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by markokompic, Oct 10, 2012.

1. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a lens to purchase as a addition to Pana 20. I'm considering Oly 12 and Pana 25, so I'm looking for advice and actual experience. I have OMD, and mostly photograph kids. Also, I already have excellent Oly 45.

I have tried Oly 12 on photo show, and I'm afraid that it is too wide for my needs. On the other side, I'm not sure how much "upgrade" is Pana 25 from Pana 20.

Many thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I went from the 20mm to the 25mm and firstly , there's almost a stop difference between F1.7 and F1.4 so that shouldn't be taken lightly. The 25mm is also sharp wide open (like the 20mm) but renders out of focus areas a little better. The bokeh and colour are also a touch better. The differences are subtle but they are there in my eyes. I think the 25mm is more suited to people shots, having the narrower field of view, and for the qualities I've mentioned. The 20mm is more of a street and general subject lens. Both are excellent but for your uses you might find the 25mm more suitable. I personally wouldn't keep both (and didn't) and I'm very happy with the 25mm as a 20mm upgrade/replacement.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the 25 is a bit faster than the 20. To me, the focal lengths are too close to justify having both. The 20mm FOV is a bit more versatile so you should consider that.

I just got the Oly 60mm macro and though it's not one you mention, it's a focal length you don;t have and the macro abilities are AMAZING!

Good luck with your choice.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I agree with all the points listed above with 1 addition that is important to me, the 20mm does not support continuous autofocus.

The 25mm is a great lens that does support continuous autofocus and has a far better bokeh for me as well as rendering sharp images wide open.

I did get rid of my 20mm and replaced it with the 25mm and it was a good thing to do for me - no regrets only benefits!

5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm sure the 25mm is better--is it "enough" better to cost almost twice as much?

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    In my market, the 25mm isn't quite 2X the cost. I think prices have ratcheted up a bit due to lack of availability... I did purchase a PL25 for $499 (US dealer) not that long ago, and the P20 is at $359 now

I do think that I would have a tough time selling the P20, until another m4/3 lens is as good and roughly the same, small size. Maybe the Olympus 17/1.8 will be close enough...

7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I was really hoping that that Oly 25mm rumor had some legs . . .

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    +1

9. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Many thanks for answering - I've read William Castleman review and it really seems that the bokeh is better, but from his images it looks to me that wide open Pana 25 is little less sharp than Pana 20. And when you consider the size, it is not an easy decision.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    If you shooting children...you may appreciate the extra AF speed of the 25mm.

As for the price, I think its worth it. There aren't a whole lot of f/1.4 lenses that are this sharp wide open.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    25mm

Having owned the 20mm before switching to the 25mm I have to disagree, my 25mm is definitely sharper than my ex 20mm plus being faster, and having continuous focusing capability.

[​IMG]

Image taken wide open with 25mm

Old_childrens_shoes.

12. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Im going to chime in here with my usual rant, if its for an extra lens i would think a much different focal length would be the benefit. I have been contemplating a wider lens but always shy away because of portability. I need something i can carry.

I agree with what people say about the 25mm but always feel that if you go for something different make it something out of your comfort zone so that you are forced to use it and only take that one with you for the practice.

I guess im saying get something like the 45mm macro or even the 75mm lens, i cant recommend a zoom because i have one and dont generally like or use it unless i have to. None of them are fast enough or worth the trouble.

13. cdub

cdub New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the 25mm as well. Thanks for this discussion. How much better would the 25mm be for sports/action shots?

14. tgs

tgs New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2012
    i too am in a similar position, but like emirabal's response. it could be nice to get something with a longer focal length to get me out of my comfort zone? any suggestions?

15. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Many thanks for the image - it really shows how good 25mm is.

16. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    That is the reason I'm considering 12mm. Already have 45, but I think 60mm macro and 75mm are too long for my needs. Although I must note that the image quality of the 75mm is absolutely fantastic.

17. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Many thanks - I agree completely, that is why I'm debating between 12mm and 25mm. 75mm is too long for my application, it is very difficult to use it indoors. I'm not interested in any zoom, only primes for me.

18. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Any thoughts of going wider? For very close to the price of the 12mm you could buy the Samyang 7.5mm, Panasonic 14mm and possibly the Sigma 30mm...I think that'd really complement the 20/45mm pair you already have.

No experience of the Samyang but it's the next on my list for something different, and you can de-fish in software for reasonable 'normal' perspective. I find I leave my 20mm on most of the time, but regularly switch to the 14mm or 45mm while I'm outside. I just bought the 30mm 2nd hand and find it's useful inside when the 45mm is too tight.

19. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm still considering wide angle, but 12mm is for me widest I should go. I have tried Oly 12mm and it feels like great lens, but I'm concerned that it is too wide for my needs (people and kids photography). I'm still looking for actual experience with Oly 12mm from people who have/had/used Pana 20mm.

20. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'll chime in. The Oly 12 has become my favorite lens for the system. It's certainly not a portrait lens, but if you want to take pictures of kids playing you'll be able to fit an entire room 's worth in a photo, and you can do it manually if you 're concerned about auto-focus (it's a very quick af, but no m4/3 camera is going to have good continuous).

People talk about magic rendering in lenses, and this is the one that has come closest to offering that to me. Despite its specialty focal length, it spends most of the time on my camera.

That's turned into a bit more of a love letter than I had planned...