what adaper for Canon FL lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snaimpally, Mar 1, 2013.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I have an adapter that was sold as an FD FL to MFT adapter. However, it will work for FD lenses but won't work for FL. Should I get an EOS to MFT adapter?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Odd. which FL lens is it?
  4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    i have an old fl mount 35mm f2.8 that works just fine with an fd mount adapter to m43.
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I have an FD adapter and it works with my FL lens. I had some problems getting the adapter to lock on though. The thing with FL lenses is that they have a rotating breech-lock ring at the base which the FD lenses don't. Instead of twisting the lens to lock like you do on an FD lens, you have to hold the adapter and lens steady while turning the lock ring. You can see it in this picture, the silver ring near the base: File:Canon FL 58mm.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make sure that the lock ring on the lens turns smoothly, and that there isn't any hidden dirt under the flanges. It's a pretty tight fit, so even a bit of grime can stop the ring from turning when you try to mount it to the adapter.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    For a µ4/3 user, there is no difference between the FL and FD mounts. In the Canon evolution, the FD added full-aperture metering and "auto" aperture control to the FL mount. Since neither function is used in µ4/3, they'll work the same for you.

An EOS adapter would make no sense for an FL lens; they're completely different designs. Perhaps a picture of the lens in question would help us help you?
  7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Let me try again. I will post pics. I am trying to adapt several Canon lenses that I bought off of someone on Craigslist. The FD lens works fine but I can't seem to get the adapter to mate with the FL lenses. I didn't want to force anything to risk damaging the lens.
  8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Actually, there are three distinct variants of the "FD" series:

1. The orginal FD series - these have exactly the same mounting method and behaviour as the FL series. There is a chrome mounting ring for the breach lock mount that turns at any time, on or off the body.

2. The improved FD series - these are similar to the original FD but have a locking pin in the mounting ring that prevents the ring from turning away from the "open" position when it is not on the body. They also have a lock pin on the f/stop ring to make keeping the ring set to the A postions more reliable.

3. The "new FD" series - these use more of a bayonet style mounting with the whole lens barrel rotating during mounting. There is a lock button on the side of the lens to release the mount allowing the lens to be removed from the body.

In all cases, the body flange is unchanged in all of the R (Canonflex), FL, and FD series bodies with the exception of a small hole in the FD series bodies's flanges that allows an FD lens to be set to the A position on the f/stop ring. Lacking the hole, the FL bodies will not mount a lens that is in the A position and once an FD lens is mounted it can't be set to the A positon.

There is no reason a properly made adapter would fail to work with an FL lens in good condition. You do need to carefully rotate the FL lens' mounting ring to the proper mounting position before mating it with the adapter. You then turn only the mounting ring to tighten the mount. With all versions of the R, FL, and FD mounts other than the last, "New FD", version of the FD mount you never turn the whole lens when mounting.