What accessories to have with a GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Trance Omega, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Trance Omega

Trance Omega New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2014
    Hong Kong
    My wife got me a GX7 for Xmas and with it came the 20mm lens and also got an additional Olympus 75-300mm zoom lens as well as a spare battery.
    I know everyone's is different for different reasons but what would be the best other accessories to get?
    I am new to DSLR so please go easy on me. :smile:
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For me, it would be a nice wide angle lens! Unless you do sports or wildlife (and in good light at that), I'd dump the 75-300 and use the funds to go wide.
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Lens hood for the 75-300?
    A good tripod if you want to do long exposures.
    A flash unit can be useful in lower light environments or portaits
    More lenses
    Polarisers, ND filters, Graduate ND filters for the afore mentioned lenses

Really the list can be endless.... What do you want to shoot with your camera?
  5. Trance Omega

Trance Omega New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2014
    Hong Kong
    I got the zoom as there is a surfers beach nearby I got to. Also I do hikes in the country parks here so I do nature and a bit of astro too. Already have a tripod. Looking at a wide angle but which one?
  6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    well there is the 7-14mm, 12-32mm and 12-35mm

I personally have the 12-35mm and I love it although it is a bit chunky (f2.8 constant what do you expect!)
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Initially I'd recommend a wide-standard zoom such as the P12-35. As for even wider, the O9-18 is a cheaper wide zoom and it takes filters. There's also a great Samyang fisheye which is extremely sharp even when defished in software.

Do you want to try portraits? The classic m4/3 bang for your buck lens (you've got the other one, the P20) is a great portrait lens.
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Oly 9-18 is a nice lens. I had it and the 7-14 together for a while and decided to keep the Oly since it's smaller, cheaper and takes filters. The IQ is not quite as good, but pretty close. At 18mm, it also a reasonable walk-around length too.
  9. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Do lots of lenses actually count as first accessories? Kidding lol.

Well if it was me, I'd first get UV filters. And then some other filters depending on your needs.

Then get a lens cleaning kit. In case you accidentally touch the front element.

Then get a better strap. Others prefer wrist straps over shoulder straps.

Then get a proper camera bag. When choosing a bag, keep in mind the lenses that you will be purchasing soon. Will you be substituting that for one of your current lenses or would you be more likely to bring them all?

Silica gels (or whatever they're actually called, those little beads in tiny bags that sometimes comes with food) for moisture absorption.

An external flash and a tripod.

The EVF eyecup.

As for lenses, I would suggest an Olympus 45mm f1.8 first. But it depends on what you want to do but it's still a good alternative "all-around" lens with the 20mm. Those are the only 2 lenses I use right now (I own 3... lol.), but if I had the choice, my other all-around lens would be the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8... But the 45mm is cheaper so I went with that first. After all, photography is just my hobby.

Personally, before going all out on lenses, I'd focus more on protection, cleaning, and usability... like filters, straps, bags, anti-moisture, cases and other stuff like the eyecup.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Wot greenarcher said ^^^^^^. :thumbup: Note that if you get an external flash, check to see if the model you want can be fitted and removed while the accessory eyecup is fitted. It is a tight fit. IME the Metz 24AF fits.

If you are a bit rough or careless in handling and transporting your camera, maybe a protective screen on the rear LCD panel.

Keep your new 75-300, it really suits the way many photographers shoot. Look back after 12 months to see if it suits your style before considering selling it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    P.S. congrats on the nice new camera and welcome to system ***********. :biggrin:
  13. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    It really does depend on your need, 10 people will give 10 answers. Photography is an expensive hobby so buying accessories can cost you thousands of dollars.

I don't know your budget so I'll give you some cheap ideas.

- Screen protector for the touch screen (a couple of dollars on eBay or Amazon)
    - Remote shutter so you can do bulb exposure. It's also a lot more stable on a tripod without your finger hitting the shutter on the camera. Great for macro shooting on a tripod too. (Under $10 for an eBay one)
    - A leather half case to protect your new camera. The best ones are from Gariz and they're about $100. You can buy some on eBay for like $20-$30 that's not as good quality but protect it just the same.
  14. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
  15. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    I got a Joby strap for mine, the slider function works really well, pull the ring back up when you want to hang it back on your hip or wherever, seems to work and stay in place well even without locking it.
  16. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    First thing I'd spring for would be the RRS BGX7-L Set: L-plate for Lumix GX7.
  17. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
  18. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    camera bag! Billingham Hadley small in tan, she might love it!
  19. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Case, LCD protector and an extra battery. Just got a gx7 myself and those are my next accessories. I also have a wrist strap.

I am not much of a filter person, but I do like lens hoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    +1 on bags or camera inserts so that you carry your new toy around with you.