What About an Oly AF Mount Adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Mar 28, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Wouldn't this work for us as well?

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There was an interview with some high-up honcho at Olympus. He admitted that they were very aware of the 4/3 glass out there that currently doesn't have a home. He explicitly stated that Olympus' two best options were a contrast-detect capable adapter like Sony or on-sensor phase detect like Nikon. He specifically mentioned those two systems, and specifically mentioned those two companies as successfully implementing it. He said he is not sure which direction is best for m4/3, but options are being explored.

Once they decide which, you will be free to use your 300mm f/2.8 lens with impunity (that is more expensive than Canon's 400mm f/4 and 300mm f/2.8, and weighs 50% more than Canon's 300mm).

3. nueces snapper

Yeah It Increases The Size and Clunkiness ...

... of our svelte little cameras but it's a lot smaller than a second camera. With a device like this one could enjoy the occasional foray into serious wildlife or sports photography without having to invest in a DSLR.

Personally it would solve my need for long large fast telephoto lenses which are not available for m4/3 cams. Once you put a big lens on your camera this small device would be negligible.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    onfoto.ru interview with Toshiyuki Terada - translation [1] [Page 1]: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I think this is the interview I talked about. I could have sworn that the interviewee mentioned both Nikon and Sony in the interview, but I suppose I have to retract my statement about that for now.

Again, for the same price, you could just buy a Canon 300mm or 400mm lens and a T3i. Superior focus, superior tracking, superior framerate, superior dynamic range, and superior high ISO performance. Plus, it would cost less and be an overall smaller kit. This idea that you're committing "adultery" by just using a concurrent camera system is just hurting you. But, you'll be free soon enough to drop $7,000 on a lens.

5. nueces snapper

Yeah, but. I don't want a plasticky little Canon. AND I really have no great brand loyalty going on here. I just don't want a second camera and I want to stick with m4/3.