What a year! What has you drooling?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 11, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    In an attempt to avoid the temptation that is the Fuji X-Pro 1, I decided to make a bit of a list of cool things now available for Micro Four Thirds, and bloody hell, if it hasn't been quite the 12 months! :eek:

So, a bit of a poll to see what new product releases and announcements have got the punters here tossing in their sleep :smile:

Pick any three, and then tell us about your choices if you like...

Cheers, Nick

(I've included product announcements as well as releases as they seem to get people just as excited, if not more so...)

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

#1 Panasonic GX1 - A very smart looking , well thought out camera. I would need the optional EVF since I hate using an LCD unless it is mounted on sticks. Bit overpriced{body and EVF} but still want one anyway. It was at the top of my list until this week.

#2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 - New top of my list camera! Although it has not been properly reviewed yet I am very excited about this one. I will be buying a new camera before June and unless the reviews are bad this is what I will be getting.

#3 Sigma and Tamron lenses - Very glad to see that both brands have joined m4/3. Sigma will have new lenses out very soon. On the edge of my seat waiting for what Tamron will do.

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    E-M5 : It is quite expensive, but I am pretty sure that this will be my next camera, and I am fairly sure that I can use it for several years before needing an upgrade. I wish it had WiFi and GPS, but other than that it basically does everything. I already consider the EPL-1 to have adequate image quality, so I think it will be a long time before the E-M5 will have me wanting more. I'm looking forward to faster focusing, an EVF, and the return of thumb dials.

12-50mm : I'm probably in the minority here, but I think this is going to be a great lens. Along with the 40-150mm, I have the entire range covered. THe lens is weather proof, wide angle, and it does macro.

45mm : I was hesitant to buy it at first, but every time I use it I am amazed at the quality of the pictures I get out of and, frankly, how much better it is than the 20mm. I just wish it was weather sealed.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    #1 - Voigtlander Nokton 17.5/f0.95 - This was completely unexpected and my jaw pretty much hit the floor when I got back from a trip and there she was on DPR. All of the sexiness of the 25mm but with a focal length I prefer. I'm considering pre-ordering in the next few days :smile:

#2 - Olympus E-M5 - All the things I missed from my E-3 since I went MFT - sealing, metal body, twin-wheels - and a whole lot more sexiness. I just wish it had a multi-aspect sensor...

#3 - Olympus 45/f1.8 - This length has always been part of my two-lens walkaround kit. I'm ordering mine this week :smile:

5. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    1. Olympus FL-600 Wireless Flash: Finally, MFT is getting serious with a dedicated flash system.

2. Both Oly 60/2.8 macro and 75/1.8 primes: Again, it is the seriousness factor: It tells me that MFT is not going away and that it is growing as a system. I was worried that MFT would be left a derelict in light of other camera companies going mirrorless. I hope one day MFT can cater to everyone from casual shooters to, dare I say it, professional sports action shooters.

3. OM-D: This camera will only spur on the spirit of competition with Panasonic and other camera makers. I can only dream of the next chess move that Panasonic will make.

6. I won't include anything that's currently vapourware, so the releases that got me interested are...

PL 25/1.4: Fast standard lens, images from it look great. This lens made me look at Micro 4/3 more seriously to moving further away from DSLRs. This and a decent fast zoom might go close to doing it...

M Zuiko 45/1.8: = Legacy 50 + AF + small size + better optical performance. Looks nice. This one edged out the 12/2 for me since I am content with a zoom lens for UWA.

E-M5: Looks like a solid step for Olympus, and hopefully a precursor for a new generation of uber-Pens sometime this year.

I own none of these three...bummer.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The E-M5 - I had pre-ordered it, but there's so much nice glass available and coming, that I'll wait and buy it used in a year.....looks awesome.

choices 2 and 3 are the Oly 60 + 75 ..... I may not get both, but they both look great!

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    What had me drooling so far:

X10 - a nice looking body. Once I tried it though, it was more looks than performance.

Panny Leica 25mm - sample images got me. I got one 2 weeks ago, and love it.

OM-D E-M5 - never thought I'd take interest until the body showed up in the flesh. The design and the grip make it a good replacement to my aging XTi.

X-Pro 1 - a more affordable rangefinder body with great design. However, im not sure I could afford to switch a complete system.

9. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    *45mm - pretty sure this will be my next m43 lens. From what I've read, it should be a great addition
    *OM-D - intrigued by what I see, but I won't buy it right away
    *EPL3 - step up from what I have. Will consider it, if I don't buy the OM-D

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    None of the above. What has me drooling is the end of winter in a month or so, so that I can get outside and start shooting more.

11. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Absolutely none of the above.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    E-M5 - simply because it may make the EP3 more affordable

G3 - I have it and love it

EP3 - maybe in a few months it will be affordable so I can get it

13. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    • Oly E-M5 - because it looks like (almost) the ideal camera
    • Panny X 45-175mm - I actually bought this one because it's so tiny for what it offers
    • m.Zuiko 60mm 1:2.8 macro - Might be a lens I will buy if the IQ fits the bill, including bokeh/smooth backgrounds

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Voted for one, since i didnt see that i can vote for three.

I voted for the samyang 7.5 FE
    -- although i shoot a lot of street, its nice to use UWA lenses and get a new perspective.

My next one will be the nokton 17.5
    -- an all around 35mm lens with the widest aperture there ever is-- its a nice to have feature wen shooting in low light

My last one is the pana-leica 25
    --great lens with a great focal length on a m43... And it does AF!

:twothumbs:

15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I can't wait to get my EM-5. I knew when I bought the EP3 not very long ago that I'd not be using it all that long. It's a very nice surprise from Olympus that seemingly they have exceeded my expectations in spades for what was inevitably coming down the pike.

The only thing that kept me in the DSLR world for as long as I resided there was a desire to make big prints through stitching. ( I used to shoot 4 x 5 ) I no longer want to do that. I sold a few prints 3 years back but hated the whole gallery scene.

I procrastinated at least a year not wanting to let go of my lovely though behemoth Nikon. Finally after the guilt over not using it cause there was just no love there anymore got to me I sold it in 30 seconds on ebay. Guy must have had some sort of software watching for a FF system to come up. Fastest sale I ever made.:biggrin:

It had to be m4/3 ( to the tune of 'It had to be you' ). Its just the best choice from every angle. I popped for the EP for the jpegs and the form factor. After all if I was walking away from dslr I didn't want to have a camera that just looked like a head shrinker did a number on D90. (GH2) :tongue: I have struggled with a bit of doubt whether I should have gone with The shrunken dslr as I do actually like the direct controls. Its the right way to go. I feared Oly might go under and leave us all orphans and that is still in the back of my mind.

But the EM-5 looks like just about all I could wish for. Given the lens lineup. All I want for all my Christmases to come is just a m4/3 300mm f/4 and maybe a teleconverter. :2thumbs:

Oh yeah, and all the primes I can afford.

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    All of them.

Gordon