1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What a difference a new lens makes.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jorg.S, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I got my hands on a Olympus 14-42mm II R for my Epl 1 and wow what a difference it makes in lowlight focusing vs the original 14-42mm.

The focus is lightning fast although I don't see any noticeable difference in sharpness which is not a bad thing as my original Olympus kit zoom was very good and very sharp for a kit lens.

So my collection now consists of the Epl 1, VF 3 with the 14-42 IIR, the 40-150mm and the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and some legacy lenses.
    This is my third update that totally transformed my old Epl 1.
    Once the VF 3 then the Olympus 45mm "and wow what a lens that is" and now the new kit lens.
    I don't know why but I always enjoyed zoom lenses more than prime lenses.

Anyway if you have one of the older Olympus bodies get one of the newer kit lenses for it and it will feel like a new camera all over again.

• Like Like x 4
  2. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Bummer, now I really have to hunt for that R-version!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW, the regular 'II' version (E-PL2 kit) is equally good (same mechanics, slightly different plastic on the lens barrel). So long as the 14-42 has a 37mm filter size, you're set. Olympus really did a disservice with the original kit lens...

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

It's well worth it and you won't give up anything other then a little bit on the close focus distance.