Wex Photo

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
I can’t access them from here either. It seems contact from outside the UK mainland is not possible, unless you are on social media. ( I’m not ! )
I couldn’t even contact them by phone, just getting a continuous beep. Trying online, I get the message “ server not found”.

Last edited:

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
@Macroramphosis, hi Roddy yes, I wondered about the B word too. I have since learned that Wex had a recent computer glitch and were offline for a while, since then it seems that their website is available to U.K. mainland only. I wonder if this is in fact a new policy, or somebody hasn’t flicked the proper switches? :)

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
I'm currently "stuck" in Patagonia. The Wex site works from here :) though I suspect getting anything delivered would be a challenge.

Real Name
Roddy
@Macroramphosis, hi Roddy yes, I wondered about the B word too. I have since learned that Wex had a recent computer glitch and were offline for a while, since then it seems that their website is available to U.K. mainland only. I wonder if this is in fact a new policy, or somebody hasn’t flicked the proper switches? :)
I was on eBay yesterday in my perennial search for a €20 P15mm, and discovered a shop in the UK that will not send abroad unless a VAT number is produced. I thought it very odd, but there is definitely a Brexit flavour on the import/export front.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
I hope you're learning Welsh while you're "stuck" there Steve. ;)
In "normal" times we could take Welsh lessons here in Esquel. However, I think refining our Spanish is of more practical use.

We have had a few Welsh themed afternoon teas in the local town of Trevelin. Lots of Welsh influence in this region.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
They send me. enough emails. Strong on social media. Strong website and click and collect.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
A lot of UK companies are unable to ship orders to the EU. So many of them have started to block their website ordering page to visitors outside the UK.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It is quite possible highly likely that they are experiencing problems with their couriers. UK-EU is still challenging and I have a feeling it will be a few weeks before things settle down - mainly because there are new things for shippers and customers to get used to.

Some UK couriers are having issues in getting their customers used to the new requirements for commercial invoices. DPD for example had large numbers of parcels in the system with no paperwork (entirely their own fault for allowing customers to print off shipping labels without customs declarations). This caused extensive delays and interruptions to DPD's services.

According to my UPS driver, UPS had to close its hub at East Midlands Airport two days ago due to widespread Covid in the workforce, leading to 1-2 day delays while parcels are re-routed.

Parcelforce/GLS decided to start slapping a 'Brexit surcharge' of EUR 3 on every parcel, on top of the fuel surcharge, on top of the new post-Brexit 2021 price list which they only released on 29th December. My customers were charged the lower rates - I no longer have a ParcelForce account - they can go forth and multiply.

Furthermore, issues with customer returns and shipment refusals have been publicised this week. Customers are being asked for, say, French TVA @ 20% plus a brokerage fee (admin charge) of about EUR 11-15 - which is fine so long as the UK seller is VAT registered and has removed the UK VAT from the sale price BEFORE the customer paid the bill. People buying from ebay sellers are getting hit with the full UK price including any VAT if it is present, plus 20-23% local TVA in Europe, plus brokerage and are understandably refusing the shipments. This is having a knock-on effect to the courier companies as well.

As a supplier you cannot simply blame the courier company. The responsibility is all yours - it is therefore sensible to pull any service which you cannot deliver in a predictable amount of time.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I sell online and still get the occasional order from the EU. The shipping issues are a nightmare for large and heavy parcels. Small ones can get through if you know how to be creative.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom