1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Westport, Mass. GF1 45-200

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

I took my 45-200 for a test drive in Westport, Ma today.

All hand held ISO 100

I'm not sure how to link back to the full gallery, but this link will deliver you to my Mobile Me Gallery: MobileMe Gallery

USA Flag at 200mm

USA_Flag_200mm.

Gate & Stone Post-72mm

Gate_Stone_72mm.

Line Stowage

Line_Stowage_105mm.

Lobster Boats 45mm

Eastern_Lobster_45mm_-_Version_2.

• Like Like x 6
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Looks pretty sharp across the board ... what's your take? The images look a slight bit on the colder end of the spectrum (no pun intended). You happy with the lens? I think that your second shot might look nice as a sepia.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

Any color issues can be attributed to my current climb up the Aperture 3 learning curve.

In the right hands I really don't think there'd be a problem. I may have over sharpened a little too.

I really think this lens is the best bargain out there, it cost less than $300. new, and it seems sharp as a tack right through the range..

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Often some lens line seem to a favor a certain color temp .. Canon's seem to edge towards the cool end ... Sigma's are a bit warm ...

Can't tell anything about the bokeh ... how's the DOF control? I tend to over sharpen in Aperture also ... gotta get higher on the ol' learning curve as well.

Gary

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You know Gary I shot with Canon for the last several years. I've only had the Panasonic lenses for the past 5 or 6 weeks, so I don't feel qualified to remark.

I know the RAW files look a little "cold" no pun intended. I created a "pre set" for these, punching up the color, sharpening (maybe too much) and the definition as well.

As soon as the color gets a little "punchy" I get nervous. Sort of a throw back when I changed form Kodacolor to Kodachrome.... the color seems cooler, and I might feel a little more safe there.

I'm working it though.. I wasn't concentrating too much on DOF, I tried to stay at ISO 100, then zoom through the range on different subjects. It's the first time I've had any sun at all to shoot with...

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for your remarks ... when I process I tend to go more with slightly cold than slightly warm ... just seems cleaner.

G

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I agree completely. I owned the Oly for a time, it produce jpgs which displayed the kind of color I'm afraid to apply to my images.

Do you think it's because we grew up up on Ektacolor & Ektachrome? I'm serious. I also wonder if we over sharpen "just because we can". Is it our older eyes enjoy seeing things that look so crisp?

I work like mad to create "pre sets" and for all I know they might be junk..
    It's far worse than a darkroom IMHO.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Not for me ... 99% of the time I shot Tri-X. I just think the slightly blue tone is a crisper/cleaner look. I sorta agree with you on the "because we can", now I'm taking great care, (well at least some care), to loupe after sharpening ... I find myself dialing way back from pre-loupe days in order to avoid sharpening noise.

G

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh yes. Over sharpen to noisy is my new middle name.
    Lots of adjustments to make in the new world. Literally and figuratively.

10. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    thank you for the post and the link to your gallery! it is very helpful the way you took two shots of most scenes, one at the near end and one at the far. that really offers a great overview of the capabilities of this lens.

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You are entirely welcome.

When I was investigating for this lens I felt that they were the kind of shot that was missing, and they were exactly the kind I was hoping to find!

12. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    I barely touch the creative sharpening. In Lightroom I almost always leave it right at the level that's applied by default on import, 25, which seems to be a proper amount for masking the softness from the anti-alias filter without introducing any halos in the process. (There are sharpening halos clearly visible in the images in the first post. They're most visible around all the contrasty edges in the flag image, and around the ropes and the yellow floatation thing on the line stowage image.)

The only exception to my rule is if I shoot at ISO 800 or above and there's some large swath of the frame that's tonally flat — a defocused background, maybe — which tends to accentuate luminance noise. In those cases, I'll dial in a bit of luminance noise reduction to clean it up, and then bump the sharpening up to 35 or 40 to bring back the edge definition lost to NR.

And then when I export reduced sizes, I set the output sharpening to sharpen for screen, low, just so the details have a little but of pop at first glance. I find the "normal" level of output sharpening to be way too high. Honestly, even the low level is too artificial-looking for some pictures. I wish Lightroom had an output sharpening that was a notch below that.

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi,

That is a detailed and wonderful explanation of the sharpening process in LR. I on the other hand use Aperture 3, and continue to climb the learning curve mountain to attain your level of competence with LR.

I really appreciate you very specific input on where to look at my images to see the issues, and I'll investigate as soon as I am able.

Alan

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Again,

Image editing is turned on, and from the mobile me gallery, MobileMe Gallery , you can download the images.

if you would like to perform a correction, I'd be very happy to see it!

Feel free to download and have a go at...

15. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Alan,

The general sharpening tool in Aperture 3 leaves a lot to be desired. Edge sharpening on the other hand, is ok. I use the latter on occasion, but when more is needed, I use Nik's Sharpener Pro, which lets you easily define what output you are sharpening for (e.g. web image, printing, etc.). When I do use it, I usually just let the program do its thing and don't usually adjust it too much from there. There is a free 30 day trial and plenty of "how-to" webinars on Nik's home page to get an idea of what it can or cannot do. I would mention also that the sharpening brush tool is also good in Aperture 3 and lets you keep the sharpening to just a small area or object as you wish vs. having it applied to your whole image.

16. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well Alan, despite all of the above I think you should be very happy with the results. I think that the colour is superb and the images are great! I just sold my 45-200 Pany and got something much more compact....the 14-150 Oly!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Bill,

Thanks, and I am quite happy with the results from the 45-200.

I'll bet the Oly is superb, but I have a 14-45, unless I could drop its use altogether I'd have a little too much focal overlap. So, 14-45 - 45-200, along with the wonderful 20mm. I'm happy with the coverage for now. Also, the 45-200 has IS built into the lens which we need for the Panny bodies..

18. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Old_Barn_in_Winter.

I love the 45-200 and agree it is the best bargain out there. It makes a great nature "portrait" lens as you can hike or walk around with it and it is very light. I took this shot with it. I am shooting JPEGs only now and have the camera set up to give me what I want with hardly any post processing- just a little boost in saturation and some additional sharpening.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Peter,

Great shot! Saw it somewhere else here in the threads, but it deserves all the looks it gets!

20. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Great shots in your gallery, Alan. I love the seaside/marine theme in winter, which you don't often see.

Peter

• Like Like x 1