Westminster captured with Olympus 14-150mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jgharold, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    People don't give this lens enough credit. It is the best super zoom I have ever used.

3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Looked like a pleasant day out, James. It's nice to see what your lens can do with you at the helm. I am starting to be a believer in having a polarizer perpetually affixed.

4. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Great pictures.

I've loved my 14-150mm since day 1. That with a polarizer is a fantastic travel lens. On camping trips it lives on my E-M5 and does everything from landscape to action shots of my daughter running around.

Just a hobbyist.

5. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Lovely shots James, I like you favour primes but enjoy the use of my Pany 14-140 lens for the flexibility, the Oly looks like a great lens

6. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I love the pictures. Could I be cheeky and ask how you focused for the last two shots. In the third one the flowers are in focus but Big Ben is nicely left in the background, in the next shot both the statue and Big Ben are in focus. I notice that the camera setting is almost identical for both, so I can only assume it must have been something to do with where you placed the focus. I hope that you don't mind me asking, it's just that sometimes I get the blurred background when what I am expecting is more depth of field, even with small apertures.

7. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Controlling depth of field

It is all to do with the distance to the focal point in relation to the background and how far you are from the focal point. For example if you are focusing on something that is 2ft from you and the background is 50ft away it will throw the background nicely out of focus. If you focus on something that is 10ft from you and the background is 20ft the background will be more in focus. It is all about ratios and once you start playing around you will soon see how each lens performs. If I had one tip, it would be to stick to one prime lens and keep playing around with the two distance ratios, foreground and background. Hope this all makes sense and helps.

8. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Many thanks for taking the time to explain, very good of you. It makes sense now. I have the Oly 45, I will get in some practice.