Western Digital My Book Studio II in raid 1. Is it a good option?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gdourado, Apr 25, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    So, I was wondering...
    I plan on having an external drive with my pictures and lightroom catalog, a local hard drive with a backup and then an offsite backup...

My current computer is an iMac.
    Initially I was thinking about buying two external hard drives, firewire ones, daisy chain them and using one as my work drive and the second one as the backup.
    I would probably use a file sync software to keep the backup up to date and then a small 2.5 inch external usb drive to do a weekly offsite backup...
    This sounded right in my mind...

but today, I started thinking about having just one Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II and the small offsite backup drive.

Here is the WD:

My Book Studio II

I would configure it to Raid 1 and just use that.
    It takes two drives and just mimics the contents on both drives, being in raid 1, so I would have an always up to date and automated local backup to prevent a single drive failure...

Am I thinking right?
    If a drive fails, I just buy a new one, replace the failed one and the contents get updated on both drives again, right?
    Is this a good solution?
    What are the chances of both drives failing at once?
    And if the case fails, I can always remove the drives and access them over a docking station...

What's your thoughts on this?

Hope to ear from you.

Best wishes!
  2. Brucebrad

Brucebrad Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I have the earlier (single drive) mybookworld ('white light edition'). It's a very effective storage system (low power consumption, reliable), but it is not very fast. The limitation seems to be mainly the speed of the cpu driving the system. I would not use it for working on large raw files (small jpeg's might be OK).
  3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Raid will work well, and considering that you have 2 separate drives within the one box, you have redundancy. Consider the time machine software already installed in the Mac OS. My main hard drive in my Imac started to show signs of death some months ago.

I quickly enabled the time machine program and restarted the computer and then ran it for several weeks until the HD finally died. When the new HD was installed I was able to reinstall everything off the time machine backup. A great piece of free software.