Wesley 24mm f1.4 CCTV lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by punkman, Jan 7, 2012.

1. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I couldn't find any good deals on 28 mm or shorter legacy lenses and then I stumbled upon this Wesley. It seems like a fair deal for $49, including free shipping, so I grabbed one.

It's a nice focal length (48mm equivalent) and it's fast. But most importantly, it's for a 1" format sensor. I think it will be much better compared to all the cheap stuff for 1/2" and 2/3" formats. I would get a 1" Pentax/Cosmicar but they seem to be hovering around $100-$150.

I can't find any information on this or who it is that makes these Wesley-branded lenses. I did find a video test on Vimeo:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/32894421"]TEST Olympus E-PL1 + Wesley 24mm 1.4 CCTV C-Mount[/ame]

Link to the ebay item: NEW 24mm F1.4 CCTV Lens with Macro Rings for Micro 4/3 M4/3

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Looks good!

3. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    You could probably get a 35mm f1.4 lens from Pentax or Minolta in that price range, right? Of course, 24mm is still quite a bit wider than 35mm, but I just feel like I'd e tempted to get an SLR lens...

4. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    The only cheap 35 mm lenses seem to be f3.5. The Takumar 35mm f2 is well over $150. I could get a 28mm f2.8 for $50 or so, but I felt I needed something faster. So, I've also ordered a Fujian 35mm f1.7 2/3" cctv lens. I really like other people's samples with this lens and it's dirt cheap at $25 or so.

This 24mm seems fairly unique, can't wait until I get to use it.

5. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    You know I was looking around at options for fast manual lenses for my e-pl1 and decided on the same two that you purchased!

I've already got an fd mount 50mm f/1.8 from my dad's old FTb and I thought about a 28mm f/2.8 in fd mount but decided I'd rather have the bigger aperture and more compact size of the c-mounts.

The two things that kind of turned me off of cctv lenses when I first started looking (especially at 25mm) were the pretty pronounced vignetting and extreme field curvature (what gives these lenses the "swirly bokeh" effect). It seems to me though that the fujian 35mm and the wesley 24mm (the pentax 25mm for 1" sensors also) have a large enough image circle and flat enough field that the images they produce don't look too unusual.

Can't wait for these lenses to arrive!

Still have to pick up the pana 20mm and something wider (maybe the hyperprime 12mm), but I'll have two cheap, decent toys to play with in the meantime.

6. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Glad to be of help clengman. I was looking at the Ebay listing and saw another 3 sold, was wondering who got them!

The 25mm Fujian didn't look too good from the sample I've seen. The 35mm is 2/3" format and seems to have no vignetting. Samples also look exceptionally sharp.

I got the Panasonic 14 mm as my main autofocus lens. Should arrive in the next couple of days, can't wait. It's a bit slower than the 20mm but I think it will be fine. The 20mm is in too much demand, quite expensive here in Europe.

The Oly 12mm is nice but also too expensive. If you are interested, I can get you a Pentax 12.5mm f1.4 C-mount in a few weeks, modified to fit perfectly on m4/3. It will be a fraction of the cost for the Oly and a full stop faster. I might even try to fit an AF confirm chip on the adapter, to provide full Exif information and focal length for IS.

7. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Actually got the Fujian 35mm before I saw your thread and was ready to buy the Pentax 25mm, but then found this thread and an album on flickr with some nice examples with the wesley lens: E-P3 CCTV lenses - a set on Flickr and decided it looked good enough at $50 to just go for it. Thanks for the info.

For a 12mm I was actually referring to this one: The SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 Hyperprime Lens Review for Micro 4/3 by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS It's still expensive but not nearly as much as the oly12mm.

I think I'm putting c-mounts on hold until I've saved up for the 20mm, but I'll definitely think about yours before I drop the money on SLR Magic 12mm. I'd love to see some shots with your modded Pentax.

8. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Same here. Enjoying the 35mm, just ordered the Wesley 24mm. Looks like a bargain. I am having a lot of fun with these tiny cheapo MF lenses.

Thanks for the heads up punkman!

9. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Punkman am interested in the 12.5 Pentax

10. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@Punkman: Please let us know if you experience any vignetting with this lens in 4:3 format. I was a little concerned to see the sample video shot in 16:9, a common work-around for vignetting.

BTW, the Fujian 35mm f1.7 is a great lens - it's much more like a baby SLR lens than a CCTV lens in terms of IQ and handling - you'll enjoy it.

11. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Got my fujian 35mm and wesley 24mm a few days ago. I posted my impressions and some test shots at dpreview: Wesley 24mm f/1.4 and Fujian 35mm f/1.7: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Briefly, the 24mm is by far the sharper lens of the two but it vignettes. The 35mm has a great deal of field curvature. It's impossible to get the whole image in focus from edge to edge. Both are acceptable as macro lenses (though not in the strictest sense of the word.) Highest ratio was ~1:1.5 with 24mm with 3 5mm extension rings. Best corrected field was at ~1:2 ratio with either the 35mm or the 24mm.

@growler - I humbly disagree. I think the fujian 35mm does okay for a $25 lens. I've seen some interesting photos taken with this lens, but it's miles away from being anything like a lens designed for a stills camera. It's really more like a cctv lens. The Wesley 24mm comes a little closer, but they both pale in comparison to the oly 14-42 kit lens IQ-wise.

12. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks for sharing clengman.

Believe it or not, my package only left Hong Kong yesterday, according to the tracker. I think we ordered the same day. Seems like I'll have to wait another 2 weeks for it to get here.

First impression: I like what I'm seeing, I can certainly live with that vignetting. I think switching to 3:2 might eliminate it altogether.

I agree but I still love these lenses. Shooting at night witht the kit lens just doesn't work.

13. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    I like them too. Not sorry I bought them at all. They do fine for what I needed them for, namely quick snapshots in low light. On the other hand, if I had purchased them thinking I was going to get IQ similar to my other lenses, I would have been greatly disappointed.

14. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@clengman: I'll certainly admit that the Fujian 35mm has a great deal of sample variation. Perhaps I got lucky with my copy, but I find it a wonderful stills lens. In any event, I'm glad that you're enjoying the 14-42 kit lens - it is tremendously versatile!

15. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    I think you really did get lucky. Most of the examples I've found of images shot with that lens match what i've seen from mine. Center is fairly sharp but the outer third of the image gets really soft. I'm not saying it's not useable, like I said, I've seen some pretty cool photos that were shot with it, but it definitely imparts a "unique quality" to a photo. It's not like a good photographic lens that's meant to create a faithful, undistorted rendering of a scene.

I think the oly kit lens is good for a kit lens. It's slow but it's sharp.

16. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

17. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Some great shots in the sample thread, thanks Grant. It really looks a lot better than the other cheap CCTV lenses.

My Wesley only arrived at Customs today... the pleasures of living on an island.

18. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I think you will be very pleased with this lens. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

19. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Finally got mine!

Took it for a walk but I didn't get any great shots. It was a bit windy and I wasn't feeling very steady either. I've posted a couple to the sample thread. It looks acceptable so far but I'm not sure it has met my expectations.

I put two 5mm extension rings on it and took a few macro shots. I think it gives some nice results in this area. I will post some macro samples later.

20. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

@punkman

Nice, thanks for posting.

I just did some macros last night as well. I agree it works nice for this with the included rings.

The last few days here have been unseasonably nice with great "golden hour" light. I haven't had much time to dedicate to shooting, but the shots I have got outdoors with the Wesley haven't been as inspiring as my first day where I shot indoors. I'm wondering if it is more of an indoor lens, if there is such a thing.

I'll post some up in the image thread when I get a chance.