Went whale watching yesterday

GaryInOz

Mu-43 Regular
...in Port Macquarie (north of Sydney) where the whales have just started their northwards migration.

Gotta say, taking a photo while in a 1-meter swell in a 'rigid-hulled inflateable' boat is not any easy thing to do!

I took the EPL-1 with Zuiko 40-150 (+mmf2) and VF-2. The VF-2 was critical to having any chance of getting a focused shot, as it gave a clearer view and ensured the focus point stayed where it needed to in the swell. Several others on board had P&S cameras and found it impossible to view/shoot using LCD (due to bright sunshine and constant movement).

This is a young male Humpback whale cruising around the bay. The spray above is where he had just 'blown'. He is about 100 meters out from the beach.

L6191013.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Wow, good for you Gary! It must have been very exciting!!

Quite a few years ago I had a fantastic whale watching experience but if I got any photos they were few and way too far away from the wild cauldron of whales and porpoises.

Sam Roberts

Mu-43 Rookie
Nice shot in tricky conditions! I presume you'll be first in the queue for the first weather sealed m4/3 camera...

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice catch, I accidently touched a whale shark back in the Philipines (not such a good swimmer...), they are BIG!!!
- Guess you were actually too close as well (or zoomed too much), because it would be nice to see some sky for your next shot, keep them coming!!!

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
the largest beasts that ever lived anytime in the history of the earth are the whales,

how wonderful the experience must have been, i hope to whale watch someday

Latest threads

Top Bottom