Went whale watching yesterday

Discussion in 'Nature' started by GaryInOz, Jun 20, 2010.

1. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    ...in Port Macquarie (north of Sydney) where the whales have just started their northwards migration.

Gotta say, taking a photo while in a 1-meter swell in a 'rigid-hulled inflateable' boat is not any easy thing to do!

I took the EPL-1 with Zuiko 40-150 (+mmf2) and VF-2. The VF-2 was critical to having any chance of getting a focused shot, as it gave a clearer view and ensured the focus point stayed where it needed to in the swell. Several others on board had P&S cameras and found it impossible to view/shoot using LCD (due to bright sunshine and constant movement).

This is a young male Humpback whale cruising around the bay. The spray above is where he had just 'blown'. He is about 100 meters out from the beach.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Wow, good for you Gary! It must have been very exciting!!

Quite a few years ago I had a fantastic whale watching experience but if I got any photos they were few and way too far away from the wild cauldron of whales and porpoises.

3. Sam Roberts

Sam Roberts Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Nice shot in tricky conditions! I presume you'll be first in the queue for the first weather sealed m4/3 camera...

4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice catch, I accidently touched a whale shark back in the Philipines (not such a good swimmer...), they are BIG!!!
    - Guess you were actually too close as well (or zoomed too much), because it would be nice to see some sky for your next shot, keep them coming!!!

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Wow - you are so lucky to get that shot. Fabulous.

6. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Man I'm jealous. Nice photo, too.

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the largest beasts that ever lived anytime in the history of the earth are the whales,

how wonderful the experience must have been, i hope to whale watch someday