Went to the camera store today...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by chicks, May 12, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    ... the only "real" camera store left in a 500K metropolitan area. Busy, a good sign, so plenty of time to browse while waiting to be served.

They had lots of used film cameras/gear on display. Just about every AF Canon and Nikon lens in current production. Several mirrorless systems -
    Leica, Fujifilm, even the little Nikon J1. But no sign of Oly or Panny. Funny, their web site has Oly's logo displayed...

Finally get served.

Looking for lenses to fit my Olympus, says I.

Olympus? We don't sell any Olympus digital cameras...

Say what? You don't carry the hottest selling camera around, the OM-D?

Never heard of it. You do know Olympus is in financial trouble?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    This is nothing new. Conikon gives substantial advertising funds to help the small and large photos shops plus continually offer big discounts sales and rebates to them. These storees can't afford to fill precious shelf space with lesser brands, no mater how good they are. I bet they didn't have Leica either products either.
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    A very similar conversation happened at PRO PHOTO in Portland. They did have at the time the 45/1.8 lens but don't sell Olympus due to their financial standing. At least that is what I was told. However they do have tons of Panasonic.
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Remember 15 years ago major chain retailers across the nation refused to carry a certain brand of electronics due to their low market share and questionable finances: Apple
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yet Panasonic reported 20x greater losses doing business-as-usual than Olympus reported after accounting for 20 years of hidden losses! Olympus has bad financial standing? I don't think so... :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Panasonic could probably buy Olympus' camera division with pocket change, without bating an eyelid, and have some spare money left. Even now, with record losses. They simply don't play in the same league. Pany is about the size of Sony or Canon. Olympus is more the size of Nikon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    My "little local store" has Olympus & Leica (albeit used) in stock. The quit selling Panasonic though because it took too long to obtain ordered items & what was finally received never matched the quantity ordered....
  8. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Bought my E-PL1 on sale last Christmas at the local store. Last time I stopped by they didn't have the lens I wanted to look at but would have been willing to order it. OTOH, Madison is not a small town and the three store chain are the last real camera stores in town.

Though there is an excellent high end film lab still. 4x5 E6, scary expensive and scary beautiful.
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Unfortunately, the only (non-department store) camera shop here in Houston that carriers Oly stuff has decided to not carry it anymore. They still have half a dozen EP2's and EPL1 and EPL2 on the shelves. So they didn't even order the OMD, even though they are now getting daily calls about it.

I actually saw an Oly commercial for the time yesterday. It was on Bravo. The commercial really didn't extol the virtues of the Pen Mini (purple colored) that this woman was using. In fact, I didn't even know it was a camera commercial until almost the end. The closing scene showed the EPM1, EPL3, and EP3. But it also showed the OMD in the lineup. But the commercial called the cameras the "Olympus Pen" lineup. I thought the OMD itself was a new line of cameras. Oh well.

There is still something lacking about Olympus marketing -- at least here in the US. I hope Olympus stays around for a long time. My first "serious" camera was an Evolt E410, which was followed by the E510 and E620. Definitely a special place in my heart for Oly.
  10. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Not directly relevant, but I was in a Sam's Club a week or so ago, and they had a kit with an Olympus E-PM1 with a 14-42 mm. I think it was just under $300.
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its not surprising because the OMD isn't the hottest selling camera around. The nearest shop who is also an Olympus dealer was shocked to find that at least one frequent customer (me) even knows about the OMD.

Another local shop had 3 sitting on their shelves.. no takers for days.. until I took the silver kit and another was ordered via phone.

It just seems like it being a member of this forum... but a forum is not a representative of the wider market.

I'm talking about US markets which rank at the bottom for mirrorless market. Foreign markets.. i'm sure its a different story.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have yet to meet a brick and mortar store where it was worth buying ANY kind of electronics. I get the sense that outside NYC and the handful of Fry's locations, there aren't many at all in the US. Even in the improbable cases that a store has something I need, the prices are so laughably high that I won't bother. Microcenter is about 50/50 on that front. Best Buy is more like 10% worth buying.
  13. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    My local shop is full of self-righteous dinosaurs who still cling to their Ilford and Provia...8 years ago I was in there and they told me digital cameras are a "fad". Last month they told me "micro 4/3 use the same sensor as a cell phone and are basically 'toy' cameras. We don't deal in 'toy' cameras." They generally have the attitude of "if we don't know about it, it must suck."

They get most of their business from students sent from local photography classes taught by their buddies.

I last bought a lens adapter for my Cokin P series filter holder from them...3x the price on Amazon but that day I was on a quest to support the local guy rather than Amazon Prime and FedEx.

I think I'm going to stick with Amazon Prime and FedEx (well, except for the OM-D! :rofl:)
  14. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    Here in Madison it's a similar story. The one camera store has some olympus stuff ( don't know it they have or had an OMD - i'll have to check sometime soon). The other stores (BB, target etc have gf3, and that's about it). When I was in Australia last year there was much moe panny stuff available in camera stores, electronic stores, and other retailers. As far as m43 goes in the US, it looks like we're a third world country.

GH2, 14-42, 14, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8, 45-175. www.stevenralserphoto.com
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The Duty Free store at Schiphol airport was selling the E-M5 as fast as they could stock it. I picked up the last one they had back in the stockroom. They were pretty enthusiastic about it. It was, however, the only camera there that was being sold significantly below current european street prices (1169 euros for the kit)
  17. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Must be. I've seen OM-D ads on TV, half page ads every day on local dailies and three full glossy pages in the best-selling photography magazines. Everyone here with a passing interest in photography knows about the OM-D. In case you're wondering where "here" is, I'm based in Malaysia and yes we're in south east asia. Oly is going with all guns blazing.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Good news : walking down the Boulevard Beaumarchais (Paris, France) saturday afternoon, I saw almost all camera shops had received and were displaying proudly the OM-D (one even had it in silver).

Less good news : no competition, every one of them was listing it at the Olympus "recommended" price.

• Like Like x 1
  19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not having a store in this area where I can actually test-drive a camera has created a real dilemma for me. After a bad experience of ordering a camera sight unseen only to find out within about a minute of opening the package that the grip wouldn't work for me, I've vowed to not make that mistake again.

Accordingly, after reading of some concerns about the size of the OMD and the need (by some) to use the optional grip, I cancelled my long-standing order for the camera. Perhaps a few months down the road, I'll get a chance to see one in person and be able to make a judgment regarding ergonomics.

In the meantime, I'm taking a much-needed break from my new camera buying frenzy and settling down to learn how to use the perfectly adequate cameras I already have. So maybe it's a good thing after all...
  20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kinda mimics the mirrorless market charts that were leaked out a few months ago. In the US, the mirrorless has not taken off at all... hence all of us having difficulties finding local shops with them in stock.

In France (and perhaps most of Europe, Japan, Asia), it looks like the micro 4 3 is doing quite well.
    • Like Like x 1