1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Went skiing in Japan with my E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trandg, Jan 24, 2016.

1. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    and I must say its so much nicer lugging around the OMD instead of my old Nikon and pro glass I used to bring with me. Saves my back about 40 lbs which is definitely not doable in the backcountry.

Made a video with the E-M1 and a few GoPros if you want to check out the legendary, deep Japow snow they get over there. Takes a few minutes in to get to the skiing ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Wow! Fantastic!

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Wow. Seriously, great video David. Excellent subject, color, and editing.

How much of the footage was shot on the E-M1? Also, didn't you have any concern about the E-M1 or lenses getting damaged in the event of a fall (assuming you had them with you up on the mountain)?

Also, what did you use to put the footage together? Adobe or Apple products?

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Also, you guys had some great conditions up on the mountains. Obviously you went at the right time of the year, but I'm guessing luck had a part to play in it as well with regards to the massive amount of fresh powder, no?

5. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    Thanks!

Most of the non-skiing lifestyle stuff was shot with the OMD. There were only a couple of shots with the riders jumping that were shot with the OMD.

I often ski and mountain bike with either my OMD or GM5 in my pack. Never really worried about falling on it. If I go do big jumps I may give the camera to someone else but not for normal riding. And in conditions like Japan it's always a super soft landing so I'm more worried about avalanche than my camera :)

I used Final Cut Pro for the edit but think I want to try using Adobe for the next one.

As for the snow...Japan is notoriously reliable for conditions between December and February. It snows less frequently later in the season...so we only got a few big dumps of snow instead of the daily stuff they often get. Can't complain with that though!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for the details. Certainly a trip to remember, and you did an excellent job documenting it so that it can be looked back on!

7. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Ahhh that powder! Looked like a great trip!

8. nicksoti

nicksoti New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2015
    Em1 is a great and underrated film tool... compact size, pro body and ergonomics and fantastic movie stabilization is an unbeatable combination.

I am a videographer in Greece and must be the only one using an EM1 as my primary camera (along with 1-2 sony action cams). Paired with the battery grip can hold big zooms, have juice from 2 batteries and have the advantage that U can change battery without unmount from my monopod. Without the grip and small primes transforms to discrete little camera for run n gun shots or capturing spontaneous little moments..

My wife is a wedding photographer, i work with her, most times I am a 1 person crew, this camera was really a life-saver for me. I got rid of my slider, shoulder rig and tripod and mostly use it handheld or with a compact manfrotto monopod underneath with a small ball head. That made me be more creative with my shots, concentrating to my customers.

I know absolute image quality is not top, especially because most weddings in Greece take place afternoon/ night in dark churches and but is perfectly acceptable for my low to medium price jobs.

Below is my favorite little wedding movie using this camera handheld (only 1st scene inside airplane was shot from with my wife's Canon so is shaky :). Most other videos in my vimeo channel (all recent for sure) are shot with EM1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    Really nice work!!

10. nicksoti

nicksoti New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2015
    Thank you very much! in this event, i was filming alone in the whole weekend, climbing mountains, landscape, groom/bride preparation in different houses etc, almost run n' gun in some situations. Also a full length video from the ceremony with a monopod.

However presenting my work is not my primary intention here, i think i could not make my videos without E-m1. My hands are not so stable, me smoking a lot and be 41 years old now... i would stick with my canon, a tripod and a shoulder rig, be acceptable technically perhaps but less creative..

Everybody here in Greece uses canon-sony dslr/dslm gear but in my opinion most in the wrong way. Almost all wedding videos have this super thin dof -shaky-dreamy look, but i wonder, is this a choice or just the gear limitation; This is not always acceptable in my opinion. Because using a large sensor dslr needs 2 person crew at least, one using handheld or with steadycam for capturing little dreamy moments, and 1 with tripod/monopod/ or real shoulder camera for the rest video work. My E-M1 allows me to do both with minimum effort, me alone or even with a partner. And a couple of action cams on lightstand or wherever as b cams.

Do not forget, here in Greece, average wedding photography for the whole day costs 1300-2000 now INCLUDING filming and photobooks/albums. Groom's / Bride's houses for preperation, church, venue, driving and filming all day in Athens without having much time to breath.... In this price range, absolute image quality and resolution is not No1 in my opinion, 1st is manage arrive on time, take the shot and not be very shaky....if I could afford having 2 assistants then maybe i would use a sony A7s or a blackmagic, but I can't.. My only assistant is IBIS...

One little prob is that using such a small camera in an event doesn't always look professional to customers... When i 1st started using the olympus, i always had the grip and rode mic on and a zoom (my zuiko 14-54 or adapted canon lenses such 24-70L, tokina 11-20) even if i could just take the shot with a small prime. I do not care anymore, maybe I was the problem not my customers, i do not hesitate use plain e-m1 body and a small prime anymore.

Last but not least. During greek summer, temps can go as high as 40-43 Celcius. Not a single problem with overheating, even filming under bright sun. Metal body gets hot, but i think this is exactly what is supposed to in order the interiors remain usable at such high temps. As i can see here, camera handles low temps well to.

Ironically, I consider E-M1 as pro tool for video more than i consider it such for photo work....

Come on Olympus, you just enabled sound level indicators and 24p with latest firmware, give your cameras their full video potential they deserve... GX8 with dual IS is already tempting (but no battery grip), A7 II ibis is not bad at all - i have tried it - still i prefer ΕΜ-1 form factor, IBIS and ergonomics, but for how long;

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016