Went on a mini spending spree.....now I need a bag! Help!

odsagn

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi guys,

Over the past 2 days I bought a few things for my E-PL2. Now I need a reasonably priced bag for a back country trip I will be taking soon. (Trinity Alps, CA)

I got the following:

1. Oly 40-150mm lens
2. Hoya filter bundle
3. 2 extra batteries
4. WCon-p01 (Wide angle converter for the 14-42mm II)
5. Step up ring

All this in addition to my

Tripod, gorilla pod, OM 50mm lens and other filters.

I'd like to get a bag that ha good padding and can fit most of this gear.

Any suggestions would be great!!

:2thumbs:

artsifrtsy

Mu-43 Regular
I love my Domke - I have the waxed canvas courier size and it accepts padded inserts. It's perfect for carrying my E-P2, lenses, adapters, and flashes. It has a sleek pocket in the back where I can stash my iPad too.

Y-V-E-S

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Yves Gajardo
Think Tank retrospective 5 or 10 are nice bags that would fit mu4/3 nicely.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I love my Domke (sounds like it should be illegal in some states).

odsagn

Mu-43 Rookie
Domke and Think Tank, got it.

i was looking at a Click Elite Traveler (on sale from amazon for $40). Any opinons on this?

Thanks for the suggestions!:bravo-009:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
How deep into the back country are you going? Will you be taking a hiking pack with you as well? An over-the-shoulder bag may not be comfy on a big hike.

There are a handful of companies that make hiking packs with camera modules. Clik Elite does and so does Lowepro among others.

IME nobody has made a camera pack as comfy as a real backpack maker like Osprey, Marmot, etc. So I've usually just put my camera gear in my hiking pack - well padded of course.

my iPhone sent this

zettapixel

Mu-43 Veteran
No! Help! Lowepro pitch is coming...
Sorry, I couldn't hold it - here's why I like Lowepro Nova so much:

1) well built, padded and protected (obviously)
2) have large accessory compartment with pockets inside, and it has a zipper (Domke, take notice). I can fit a small book in there (I have Nova 2 AW)...
3) have large accessory pocket in the flip (with a zipper too)
4) have 2 pockets at the sides. Not great for photo accessories, but excellent for other stuff, like a bottle of water.
5) have a pocket on the inside of the cover (I put soft cloth in there, but nice for extra flash cards too).
6) the rear pocket has a zipper
7) the main compartment can be locked by the lock, zipper or both, and the cover overlaps the walls, so even if not zipped, it's protected from rain.
8) the lock can be opened silently, as opposed to velcro.
9) has a handle (I didn't think I would miss it in Domke, but I did)
10) relatively inexpensive

Adventura is similar to Nova, but the front accessory compartments is more shallow, and there is no compartment in the flip, so it's less bulky.

It's only my personal opinion, YMMV, for certain some of the points won't matter to some people. To be sure, Lowepro does not look nearly as cool as Crumpler or Domke, and a Domke bag can be a little slimmer, but, for a compact shoulder bag, I would recommend Lowepro Nova 160 AW or 140 AW.

But whatever you choose, seeing and opening it in a store first makes all the difference.

Shoot, I should've asked them for commission :smile:

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I have two 20+ year old Tenba bags (small and medium), a Canon backpack and I just added a nice medium Tamrac (to have room for the iPad).

Think about where you are going to shoot and what you plan to add to your stable in the next few years. Get a bag that fits your style and approach. Backpacking and hiking may demand a different bag than street shooting. Some bags are designed to hold more stuff while others are designed for fast accessibility.

I usually recommend two bags - one for traveling light. a camera plus 2-3 lenses and small accessories, and a bigger bag that can handle more lenses, a flash and more stuff. Get a smaller bag now and see if you like it and add a bigger one later.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
do you use an ipad for yer cameraness? if so, i just recently saw a small-mediumish sized bag (comes in backpack or shoulder style) with a padded slot for an ipad in it

i want!

not sure of the brand... but i saw it at precision here in austin
ill swing by and get a brand name and price if ur at all interested

Offriver

Mu-43 Regular
Domke and Think Tank, got it.

i was looking at a Click Elite Traveler (on sale from amazon for $40). Any opinons on this?

Thanks for the suggestions!:bravo-009:
I bought and returned the "Traveler." Nice bag, but kind of a strange fit for my stuff. If you plan to use it for storage and can set it down to open it - you might like it. However, if you want to use it as a lens changing bag - it just doesn't work well in my opinion. It's a front loader bag. Nice size though and well padded. FYI....The gray color is more of a light olive green. It's not even close to a gray/beige as pictured in the photos online. Black would probably be a better choice.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
If you're hiking then I'd look at a proper hiking bag with one of the new crumpler camera inserts. They convert nearly any bag into a camera bag. I have a couple in each size and they're fantastic. And cheap.
Haven (S)

If you want a camera backpack then I really like the lol of the Tamrac Evolution 6 for a small kit plus a jacket and tripod. For a shoulder bag then Domke or if you have the money, Billingham (the best bags I've ever used).

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom