1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Went and done it. Got another EM-5 body.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Savas K, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I read about photographers here using more than one body and recently saw someone walking about with two rangefinders. The guy looked so comfortable strolling in the park. I also recall long ago seeing a photographer at Adorama sporting two bodies, each with a fast lens with stepped-up filters on the front. At that time I was shooting DSLR and the thought of buying a second body seemed way overboard and expensive.

GAS got to me and I recently clicked the buy button for a refurb EM-5 at Olympus' site. B&H had a used EM-5 for the same money, so I felt it better to go with a camera that's been run through Olympus' hands. Sales tax brought the cost up so I'll need to get over it when the bill arrives. There's a little hint of guilt that I hope will evaporate.

2. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    OM D Body

Thought about doing that too, then saw a Fuji XE-1 with 18-55 for almost the same price, so much for that idea.....:smile:

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    My second body is a G5 I got for under $400 new. I tried one body, but I've been in situations where changing lenses either was impractical ( blowing sand) or missed the shot. There, I justified it.:rolleyes: I tried a GX1 but I found I need a viewfinder almost always. Same with an LX7. I almost got a fuji x20 but the G5 won out. There will be some times when I'll need to do video and stills and figured the panny/em5 would be the best option.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My second body is an E-PL5. I always have a back-up and it is always a slight step below my primary (thus I won't be frustrated over which to use! :smile: ). The E-PL5 uses the same sensor so it is at least fairly close to the optical properties.

5. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I would love to buy another OM-D. I am holding out on the rumor (source unknown) that Oly is going to make a professional m43 camera. An "OM-D Pro"?

6. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    same here, E-PL5 is my OMD's backup. With the same sensor, this saves some money over having to buy a second OMD. I'd rather put that money (and continue to save up) towards the OMD successor--perhaps in the next year?

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My first second body was a GX1, which worked nicely, but when Panasonic was offering the 12-35/2.8 for $900 with selected m4/3 bodies, I bought a G5 and sold the GX1.

Having two lenses on two bodies is infinitely faster than trying to change a lens under pressure. I've done with with DSLRs and f/2.8 zooms for years. All I can say is that my posture has improved a great deal since moving primarily to m4/3! :eek: :biggrin: :2thumbs:

8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    No question about that. What I am wondering though, what are you shooting? I usually have time to swap a lens or at least make an intelligent guess for my next object and preselect the right lens (e.g., the 75-300 on camera for suddenly popping up wildlife and changing to the 9-18 for non moving landscapes when needed).

Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying, it is stupid to run around with two bodies. Just desperately trying to fight GAS here... :biggrin:

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Purchased a G5 for my second body. Have always liked Panasonic handling and this is no exception. Primes on the EM5, zooms on the G5, landscapes on the EM5, kids and videos on the G5, me on the EM5, wife on the G5. It works out well.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Is everyone's second body for backup, or are you using two cameras at once? What's it like shooting with two?

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The most compelling situation has been sports. In the DSLR world, 24-70/2.8 (or equivalent) and 80-200/2.8 in tandem.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Two at once. Upside: I almost never need to change lenses. Downside: back problems, at least with DSLRs. M4/3 is a dream come true. :smile: :2thumbs:

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I use both bodies in daylight. If it gets dark(er) I use the OMD. I have a nice bag and it is very easy to switch bodies. My issue is more using prime lenses. For landscape/nature, which is what I shoot, I can't wait to get those two 2.8 zooms from Panasonic. Until then - :dash2::dash2::dash2::dash2::dash2:

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I don't use backups. Typically, I use two cameras, one with a wide angle and one fitted for long. It is much easier and faster than having to switch out lenses. I've been shooting with two cameras for so long that now it is uncomfortable to shoot with only one body.

Gary

15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Now that I have three bodies, I have them typically set up as:

E-PM1 for Wide 20mm or 9-18mm
    E-PL1 for Medium 50mm or 135mm
    E-PL2 for Long Zoom 40-150mm or 70-300mm.

16. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I don't use 2 bodies at a time when using my OMD EM-5 but I do when I go shooting motor sports with my Nikon Gear. My D7000 is fitted with either my 80-200 f2.8 or my 70-300VR and my D90 is fitted with my 17-50 f2.8.

One of the main reasons I enjoy the OMD so much these days is that carrying 2 DSLRS and 2 heavy lenses plus accessories (grips, tripod etc) is soooooo heavy.

Weight is also the main reason I'm thinking about an Oly 75-300 or Panasonic 100-300...

17. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    E-PM2 + 14 permanently attached - my X100 Oly style!

G5 + 14-54 II or 45-175X or 30 Sigma

All my budget would allow.

18. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    I've got a nice small bag that I store 3 bodies/lenses in. This means I don't take any additional lenses out with me. Find it works great, not possible when I had DSLR. On occasion I've thought I've missed having a lens with me, but not too often.

Bodies are :
    EP-3
    G5
    OM-D

19. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I used to carry two DSLR bodies but stopped due to weight. The more I use the OM-D the more I can see it being used for most of my work.

I can honestly see sometime in the future if the E-M5 replacement comes out me having that plus my E-M5 and going dual again.

20. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Oh the other day I weighed the OM-D with 25mm Pl and it was just over 500g. My D700 gripped is 1485g plus and other 1026g for say a 24-70mm

Hell of a difference 500g vs 2.5kg!!!