Well, you asked... EM5/GH2 thoughts

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 28, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Mostly agree, but tge em5 buttons are squishy and unresponsive to me...
  3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Excellent write up. I've never owned a Panasonic MFT camera but your points on the EM5 pretty well mirror my own experiences. Thanks for sharing.
  4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've had both and sold both, I've just bought an OM-D to replace the one I sold (silly sod).

Both IMVHO, are excellent cameras.

The OM-D (gripped), for me anyway, in spite of it's idiosyncrasties, and there are lots, just had the indefinable 'something' that the GH2 just did not have.

One buys an OM-D with one's heart not with one's head.

In this world there are 'lovesome' things and 'unlovesome' things.

The GH2 for me was just another excellent camera.

Pssst BTW.....I will also be collecting my free grip and battery, RRP about £280.
  5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I wonder why some function buttons aren't made available on the left side of the camera. My left hand feels "left out"
  6. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    "has a camera that makes me want to take photos"

"Can you please quantify this which is heard a lot.
    Is it just the smaller size that you like?
  7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    True, but then coming from a K20D and E-3 I'm used to buttons made mushy with sealing. I still stick by my comment that, while far from perfect, they're much more positive than the GH2. Better mushy-feeling than no feeling at all...

Ah, not really because it's not a quantifiable comment - thats the point. As I said in the article, the GH2 is a very efficient tool (a quantifiable quality) but I feel much more emotionally connected with the EM5 (an un-quantifiable quality). If I had to I'd probably point out the build-quality, materiality, aesthetics/design and screen (having my shots look good on review gets me more excited to take them...). To some people the end result is whats important, but to me its about the process of getting there...