1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Well, there goes my night. My OM-D's LCD just shattered.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TheBiles, Aug 31, 2012.

1. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Somehow, in the 30 feet from my front door to my car, my OM-D's rear LCD managed to shatter itself while hanging from my shoulder. No idea what it could have hit, but when I took it off to put in the car, this is what I looked down at:

4b889533-4f29-3b8b.

Talk about a horrible feeling. I'm guessing I'll have to send this in to Olympus. Anyone have any experience with this and what I should expect to pay?

Sent from my Galaxy S III

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I've seen the screen as parts on eBay for $90, so keep that in mind.

3. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I've replaced phone LCDs before, but it looks like taking this bad boy apart would be quite a bit more work.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The bright spot is that this is very likely a manufacturing defect, and as long as you can convince Oly that you haven't been abusing your camera, it should be covered. I am suspicious of the LCD in general though, it seems like a weak spot in general. olympus needs to get some Gorilla Glass action.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Something similar happened to my M9. Fortunately, what cracked was a Giottos/Aegis/Scott glass screen protector. The impact was similar to yours, right on the edge.

The only thing I can figure was that it swing around and hit either the metal D ring on my bag or the metal rivet on my jeans just right.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, that would ruin a good day in a heartbeat. So sorry . . . I hope it's covered under warranty. :sorry:

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Oh no! You have my sympathy.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:eek: Hope this not going to be the norm for the E-M5! I plan on getting one down the road.

9. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Anyone know how long Olympus repairs usually take? I've only dealt with Canon, and they were unbelievably fast (5 business days) at repairing and returning my camera.

10. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Depending on when you bought it and what credit card you used you might have some automatic damage protection. Might want to check that out. My crazy-expensive-annual-fee Amex Plat paid for itself partially because of that.

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In case no one has mentioned this yet, it's not an LCD screen...it's an OLED display.

It depends on parts right now due to the demand of all parts going in to trying to stock the store shelves with cameras due to demand.

General turnaround time also depends where you send it (the internet is worldwide, so if you never said where you were how are we supposed to guess). For instance, even the Oly divisions in California and New York had different schedules.

12. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    That's disturbing - knowing that your LCD could crack through normal use. I put a screen protector on mine but I wonder if that affords any protection against this kind of damage.

I hope Olympus will cover your OLED. Please keep us posted.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mrhoddy

mrhoddy New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    That sucks totally.

Anyhow as I've been reading and researching the EM-5, I have to say I've read a few 'my LCD cracked under normal use' type comments so fingers crossed for all that this is an issue that Olympus will rectify no hassle if its some sort of material / design strain defect.

My sympathy hope its cleared up ASAP

16. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I'm sending it out Tuesday morning, so I hope to get it back in two weeks. Their website says something crazy like 7-10 days after they receive it to even appraise it, so I really hope that's just a gross over-estimation.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You don't need a crazy expensive Amex for that. My free Amex gives me the same coverage. So does Discover now.

The best thing to do is get a PAP from your insurance company. $1 per $100 of coverage a year. So roughly $10/year to cover a OM-D against damage and theft.

18. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Yeah, I have insurance on all of my gear, but I don't think I'm going to go through the hassle of filing a claim when it is probably going to be a $150 repair.

19. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    TheBiles: Ouch. I've always handheld my OM-D because the swinging around on a strap can easily result in this happening.