Well...My E-PL1 has shipped.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CanonDude, Mar 2, 2010.

1. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    So I am almost, an official :43: owner!

It's in town, so I should be getting it tomorrow!

I wanted a black, (and still have a black on order, which I'd better cancel :eek: ) but I snagged a blue one so I wouldn't have to wait. I prefer a darker body over the metallic gold.

I also managed to grab a Pana 20mm f1.7 when B&H had a short supply in stock, so I should soon be 'good-to-go' for the :43: times.

Can't wait to shoot :43:! :cloud-9-039:
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    sounds good.... have fun with it...:)
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Sounds great - and you're not going to be the only E-PL1 shooter on here, either. Another member has just gotten his.

I'm very interested to read more about this camera and see some photos, too. Keep us posted!
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I got a chance to put my hands on one today in the local Ritz store. I like the grip/feel better than the EP1, but I don't care for the back button layout. I also think it might get out of balance with a larger lens. I think you will enjoy the purchase however. If its anything like the EP1, it will be a fun camera for you!
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the little pen with that excellent panny

with the i stab you should be able to gain a stop of 2 of low light speed advantage shoot at 1\10 1\20 sec with no problem , im guessing

6. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm planning on picking one of these up once Amazon gets the black in stock and I sell my GF1. Let us know what you think of this little pen that could.
  7. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Would you believe???
    The brown truck came today with the camera, but didn't leave it. My wife was in the back, putting on her make-up, and she heard the dogs barking at the door and the bell, but didn't go to the door to check it out!!!
    So...now it's Tomorrow......!!!!:crying:

The shipper, Willoughbys, via Amazon, required a signature, (which I wasn't expecting), so......:crying:
  8. BBW

Poor you! I knew they would need a signature but managed to be around or made sure someone else was... It is after all fairly pricey to leave "on the steps".

I feel terrible for you :frown: because I remember how excited I was when my new E-P2 was en route. So tomorrow you just can't go out or you must make your wife swear not to put on her makeup!:wink:
  9. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Well...She was alert to receive it today...And it sure looks nice.
    Now to learn how it works, charge it up, and start shooting.
    I prefer RAW, but I don't know what software currently converts it's raw version, so I suppose that I'll start out with jpg.
    It came with a CD for Windows, but I use a MAC. So why no Mac version Olympus????

You know? I kind of like this blue color! It ain't half bad!!!
  10. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I thought it was supposed to come with RAW (ORF) conversion software made by Olympus? That would be absurd not to provide it if they didn't.:confused:
  11. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
  13. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    We want pictures!

14. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Neat the E-PL1 ..

Paul ... IBIS + that 20mm Pany low light killer .. Blue is coool:wink:
    ps. Boy you have shot some cars ...................
  15. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Congrats Paul with your new equipment, I'm sure you will like it a lot.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman
  16. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

17. BBW

Congratulations CanonDude...you might even have to change your name soon.:biggrin:

If you get stuck with any software questions, here's a link to a specific Olympus Master software thread which currently resides in the Olympus camera forum: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1285 while all other software post processing and other, reside in the Software section down here: https://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

I'm sure Brian's "Quick Start" videos in "Image Works" could come in handy, too, though I realize your camera may have a completely differenet set up. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more, too! There are quite a few E-PL1 owners around here and I really am looking forward to hearing about this new Olympus Pen version.
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There should be a Mac version of olympus' raw software in there.
  19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm looking forward to comments from E-PL1 owners about how easy (or not) it is to change aperture/shutter speeds using the buttons rather than a wheel/dial. I have trouble using the latter and this latest model could be just what I need.

BTW has anyone seen the EVF sold seperately yet? I've only seen it advertized as part of the E-P2 package.

Enjoy your camera, Paul. :smile:
  20. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    No. Only one CD came with the camera and it is marked Windows, and that is what it is.

I just downloaded a Mac app from the Olympus website called 'Olympus Master 2'. Hopefully that will let me convert this camera's RAW files until Adobe and Aperture get updated for the E-PL1.
    Aperture may already be able to see them since it has been updated for the E-P1 and 2, and since the PL1 uses the exact same sensor. ?????