1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Well I've done it now!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slothead, Dec 12, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have committed myself bigtime. I have just put my Nikon D800 and full frame stuff on the block. If anyone is interested in some uber-resolved (36MP on full frame) sensor and supporting glass and light, let me know and I will point you to my ads.

The bottom line is that I have decided to give up full frame and concentrate on Mu 4/3. I'll keep my APS-C IR-modified Nikon, but no other big sensors for me. It just causes too much weight and volume - and that is no fun when globe-trotting.

I hope I don't regret this and if it doesn't sell really quickly, I may take the big stuff with me to Colorado next week, but I don't relish the thought.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    You're doing the right thing.Maybe by lugging it to Colorado one more time,you'll know ,for sure, that smaller is better.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Tom,

It's known as the "No Guts, No Glory School of Photography" :biggrin:.

I only miss my D300 gear (I had the grip installed, bringing it up to D800 size more or less) when I'm not holding the EM-5.

:thumbup:

Post some pics when you get back from the trip?

Regards,

Jim

4. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Congratulations!

I'm in a similar boat...been putting together an expensive m4/3 kit, so I'm very committed financially. But I've yet to start selling my SLR gear as I'm wanting/needing to insure I can produce the images I need with m4/3...

If/when I sell the FF SLR stuff I want to insure I don't return later, having to replace my mostly older SLR gear with newer, more expensive lenses and bodies.

Cheers to us, converts of many stripes :wink:

5. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    sold all my Canon equipment this fall; just too heavy to lug anymore Now happy with E-M5 and soon the GH3 for video.

6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    If you're truly wanting something light and nimble and coming from such an IQ monster, are you considering a FF fixed lens like Sony rx1 or Fuji EX-1 along with the OM-D? A Full kit OM-D with a couple primes and a couple zooms is still gonna be a big bag.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    My money is on Sony being the 1st manufacturer to come out with an affordable full frame mirrorless interchangeable lens system....

The RX1 was put out test the waters...:wink:

8. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Good luck. I have retained my Leica M3 and one lens... but selling off four Leica and Canon rangefinder lenses about a year ago allowed my to fully upgrade my m43 system to all the lenses I can comfortably justify. Adaptors for favourite legacy lenses are worth considering. Keep the fast glass and enjoy via adaptors. Hope you have no regrets.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good for you! It took me a while to committ to selling my Canon gear, but I haven't regretted it at all. :cool: