1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Well, it'll be quieter around the forums...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Sep 12, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For those who truly love m43 and want to stick with it, here's one idea: it'll probably get a little quieter around m43 forums.

The RX1, for example, is sucking a LOT of attention from the gadflys. Over on DPR, the Sony forum users were already complaining about the RX100 chatter. That's nothing compared to the folks flocking over there to post their opinions on RX1 price points!

I figure it this way -- there were very few viable mirrorless options except m43, and the OMD really drew in all comers.

Now, with the NEX announcements, RX1, XE1 and others, people have more viable options. m43 cannot be right for everyone. That would assume we are all alike! So, there were folks posting on m43 (and folks who will be announcing they are leaving) who never really belonged here, but now they have some place to go, lol.

Maybe this forum can find time to talk more about pictures then, and less about gear, once all the announcements are finished.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 9
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    But there's always the next best thing around the corner....

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    So very true! :rolleyes:

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So WT21, where are you headed? I see your E-M5 is on the chopping(should that be shopping) block. Is this your covert way of hinting that your changing camps. Hope your staying, as I've always appreciated your insights and comments.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This has happened before, and it will happen again. We have members who left for NEX and came back to MFTs. Some have done it a couple of times.

Fuji is unlikely to ever be a mainstream choice, and MFT continues to have substantial advantages over NEX, some of which Sony is likely to improve (eg lens selection, AF speed), and others where MFT will continue to stay ahead (eg, compact telephoto options).

Meanwhile, we'll have plenty of new folks checking out MFTs because all the buzz about other systems makes them more aware of mirrorless in general.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    until oly announces their ff 4g/wifi leaf shuttered built in lens camera line! one each at 28/35/50/90!
    weather proof
    all external manual controls
    ibis
    built in nd filter
    but the hood will cost $1k

• Like Like x 4
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nah,
    Just look to the right - still tons of OMD threads....:wink:

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Fuji has an impressive set of primes and is still a youngling at this game. IMHO, to early to predict where Fuji will end up....

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Kind words. Thanks.

Not sure yet. I have my OMD for sale, but not the native lenses. Trying to sort out what I want to do, and I might keep my OMD anyway.

My thoughts were also posted in reply to this other thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/hmmm-nex-6-om-d-hmmm-33019/#post323957

I'm interested in the new Pens. I guess with the OMD, I'm a little perturbed at the $300 grip, and that it covers that battery cover, yet I don't like the camera without the grip. It's a personal thing.

10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    A youngling I want to drop my tax refund on! Lol

But I will watch the X grow as a whole system first...

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Sony would have a hard job catching up with MFT for lens selection, simply because MFT already has a substantial head start and a single manufacturer, even one as big as Sony, is unlikely to match the output of two manufacturers supplying the same system.

Of course, Sony now has a foot in the MFT door too, even if it is just supplying sensors. In my opinion Fuji would have done better to use the MFT format. It's true that they are carving out a worthwhile niche in the market but they could have been much more mainstream on board with Olympus and Panasonic. Also they would have brought quality, innovation and diversity to MFT, making it an unstoppable force. By now it could have been game over.....:rolleyes:

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Sony announcements are quite massive in scope and hard to beat. For newcomers switching from DSLRs or P&S, Sony might now become the first choice since it's so widely available and well distributed throughout the US and the world. I also expect Canon’s mirrorless to do well. I am afraid for Panasonic and Olympus it will be hard to compete on pricing; they simply don’t have enough sales and nowhere near the marketing power of Sony or Canon. Frankly, most people don’t even know that Panasonic makes cameras and think that Olympus is an old film camera maker.

For a long time there was no competition and yet Olympus blew it by countless reiterations of the same old products with the same old sensor. OM-D came a little too late in 2012 and we now see that in 2012 Sony stole the show. If Sony starts making innovative compact lenses (perhaps collapsible) defying the laws of physics with the help of electronics and will demonstrate fast AF (incl. PDAF for tracking and sports) and all that at lower prices, I would expect m43 to become even more niche than the old 4/3 mount once was. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more RX100 like cams whith bright zooms that won't fit into pocket but still smaller than m43 and sufficient for most people (e.g. 12-60mm f1.8-f2.8 collapsible single lens zoom + clear zoom extension).

Disclaimer: I’ve been using RX100 for over a week now and it is definitely the best camera (compact or otherwise) I’ve ever used, primarily because it’s so fun and the jpegs are so good with no effort at all (iA) in any light, any condition. I do plan on upgrading my E-PM1 to E-PM2 though but only if the rumor is right and it will in fact have OM-D sensor, touchscreen (a must for FUN selective AF with Oly 45, IMO), etc. at rumored $399 (it could become the first non-overpriced at launch Oly camera). So yes, I am not interested in NEX any more than 2 weeks ago. I like wireless flash and Oly’s AWB too much and of course Oly 45mm lens, possibly the only lens I’ll eventually keep.

Funny, DXO is still silent on OM-D sensor rating. Many folks may dismiss DXO testing but the score does affect overall value (and resale value) of a given camera, IMO. I wonder if it will be closer to GH2 sensor (60 points) or RX100 (65 points).

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been a fan of Fuji since way back, and I'm expecting great things from them. What I said was that they are unlikely to ever be a mainstream choice, and the fact that they are starting off with an impressive set of primes is further evidence of that. They aren't going after the mainstream.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    In the beginning,
    Olympus & Panasonic had to carve out their own worthwhile niche....:wink:

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And yet "we", criticized Sony & Nikon mirrorless for not having an impressive set of primes......:wink:

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a whole lot of ifs. With regards to cameras that you can buy today, MFTs has a significant advantage in AF performance. Differences in lens sizes between MFT and NEX remain as significant today as they have ever been for some key lenses in the lineups:

7981443633_c996229e65_o.

Meanwhile, the differences in format sizes are such that there's no reason to expect relative differences in lens size to go away as everything gets smaller. The workarounds involve real compromises. For example, the new collapsible Sony zoom doesn't have a mechanically-linked zoom mechanism, which will make it a non-starter for some of us. Collapsible lenses have been around for a long time, and some folks just don't like them.

I think it's very premature to say that MFT is going to go the way of regular 4/3. If the size breakthroughs happen, then MFT will become the size of Nikon 1 System, and NEX will become the size of MFT.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I don't know, I don't think I see the sky falling just yet. :biggrin: The forum was actually pretty healthy before the OM-D launch and I think it will be okay if the gadget hype spotlight moves away for a bit. Of course, I don't think Olympus and Panasonic are going to stand still, and there should be a few new product announcements this month. :thumbup:

If you can swing it, WT21, I really think you should consider keeping the OM-D. It will make a great complement to whatever new APS-C system you end up buying. Remember, it's all about the eggs anyway!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You're still missing my point. "We" are not mainstream, and I am not criticizing Fuji by pointing out that they are unlikely to ever be the mainstream choice in this market.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am not worried about MFT folks leaving for Nex (I definately have no interest in Nex). Those typically come right back to m43. New users, however, may now prefer Nex more and more thus shrinking relative m43 userbase which is not good for the system, IMO. I don't even consider Fuji a serious competitor to anything.

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If you really want to discuss photos instead of gear why start a thread like this? I'm tired of the constant consternation about what we discuss and how we discuss it. People who want to talk about photos have their threads; same as those who want to talk gear. Even folks who want to compare :43: to other gear have a place. I don't think anyone doesn't "belong" here.

If anyone is annoyed that this forum is too gear-centric I'd suggest starting new photography threads to move the needle a bit.

• Like Like x 1