Well, it happened: "that's not a real camera"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Apr 2, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    OK, they didn't quite say it that way, but I was at Easter dinner with family, and I brought only my EPL5 + 17/1.8. I wanted to concentrate on dinner, rather than pictures.

I took the table portrait, some pics of the kids with their baskets, and then my SIL says "my brother is quite a photographer. Of course, he had a pro camera. I think it was the first digital DSLR. He had it in 2001" Then someone else said it was film, not digital, then they proceeded to talk about how he had a flash and everything, and how all his friends all wanted him to take their pictures with it, and how he took the best shots at her wedding, etc. I know I'm being stupidly sensitive, but grrrr...

I wish I had my 6D, 430EXii and 70-200/2.8 to pull out, lol.
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    Cool story bro....
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Let your SIL think what she thinks. One day perhaps you'll meet that brother of hers and you guys can laugh at how stupid that comment was together.
  4. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I once had someone comment to me that my OM-D E-M5 would make a "great travel camera". This was at a studio photo shoot with 20 or so other photographers with DSLRs. The commenter was suggesting that the OM-D was perhaps not in the same league as a DSLR.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't worry. I walk around with my E-PL5 and 17 1.8 all the time around people with hardcore setups. I don't care what they think, I got a whole arsenal of crazy full-frame DSLRs at home! :wink:
  6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Am I going to get shouted down if I say that's what I mainly use my OMD EM-5 for :tongue:
  7. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    yah, at this point in my life i don't care what they say or what comments i get anymore... it's that whole mentality of "My camera is bigger than yours!" The question is, Do they know how to use it. Oh wait, we're talking cameras here... :eek: hehhehe..

Seriously tho, if I get superb pics and it's not breaking my back carrying it in the process More power to me! For me at least, i'm not planning on making money off my pics nor is it my job/side job etc. (but even that is debatable). i'm taking more pics now than with my DSLR! (when i had it)

{so there!} :cool: hehehhehe
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    process a photo of her and add tons of structure and make her look TERRIBLE
    and say "oh, i guess my camera DOES suck..." and raise yer eyebrows and wal-.... skip! away smiling :D
    "tra la la la laaaaa"!
  9. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Ditto x 2, good advice for many situations.
  10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    The less people think of my gear, the happier I am. Go take some photos. :)
  11. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Well the good news is that you no longer have to do family weddings, birthdays, aniversarys, etc... You just have to reply "sorry, my camera isn't big enough" and it's all good.
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    He must be really good!
  13. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Actually, for some situations, I'd love people to consider that a mfourthird camera is not a real camera. I would just feel safer with my stuff... as they wouldn't seem worth stealing.
  14. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I hope that's the case when I take my OM-D to Ecuador on vacation.
  15. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Gee, and I so much of a kick seeing people on the street taking the most mundane picture of the spouse in front of a fountain with a HUGE DSLR, great honking Zoom, with a very powerful flash poking out of the top ready to disrupt air traffic for miles should it be switched on.
  16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK...so how did your photos look... and how did his?

the way you win this game is you process your photos that night and email/facebook them to everyone there.

thats where the fun in photography is....sharing

People react to images.. not to cameras

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This SIL probably hasn't taken a picture in years, maybe never unless you count those shots she took with her phone! :doh:

Some people are just idiots. M4/3 isn't a DSLR but then a DSLR isn't a Hasselblad.

You could have pointed out that your E-PL5 has more resolving power than her brother's "pro" camera. In fact if it was a digital camera from 2001 an iPhone has better resolving power!
  18. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Well, I took a RX1/OM-D to Ecuador/Colombia over the new years and lived to tell about it.
  19. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    ...it's like arguing with an 8 year old.
  20. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Yeah, they react to images. Twice today (twice!!) colleagues admired photos that I had up on my monitor at work and then complimented my camera. (I kept my mouth shut the first time, but the second time just said that I'd like to think that I'd had something to do with the shot.)