Well I'm almost off on vacation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, May 21, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    headed out Saturday for a week long vacation to the Northwest. Leaving Salt Lake heading up through Washington State to the San Juan Islands to spend a night. Will also be on the bay in Anacortes Wa. and then taking a drive along the Cascade Mountain Hwy which is pretty breathtaking to say the least. Will spend a night in the Sun Mountain Lodge and then pass through Grand Coulee Dam and spend a night in Spokane, From there a nice drive through the Palouse territory and Northern Idaho staying a night in McCall Idaho on Payette Lake, then our last night in Sun Valley Idaho. Along the way lots of mountains, lakes and rivers to see. The PL1 is going along on this one with the kit lens, 20mm f1.7, 17mm f2.8 and 45-200OIS. This will be a real leap of faith as I could easily bring my D700 or D5000 instead, but the idea of traveling light for once is too compelling. I've tested it out enough to have some level of confidence it will deliver the goods. I'm shooting all RAW this time just in case. Have 2 Sandisk Class 10 16gb cards so that should be plenty to get it done. A nice light small Velbon travel tripod just in case, and of course if the light is abusive a 2 stop B+W MRC ND filter as well as circular polarizers for the other lenses. Hopefully it won't rain too much. I should have some decent stuff to post by Memorial Day after I get home and have some time to process them. See ya'll when I get back. I won't be online till then. Asta La Vista :biggrin:

2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    You are going to love the trip, and what you are taking. You won't miss the big gear at all, and if you do it will be only for lack of weight. I also think the 45-200 is going to surprise you. It does me, consistently.

If you get a chance to take two more days and get up into the Canadian Gulf Islands, or southern Vancouver Island, let me know. I have a friend in Chemainus on the eastern side of VI opposite Salt Spring Island who can charter you out onto the water for a day's salmon fishing, crabbing and shrimping. You will never forget it... especially when a pod of Orca decide to overtake the boat while out in Juan de Fuca Strait off Victoria.

http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Qdo&rlz=1R1WZPB_en___CA356&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=b.c.+gulf+islands+orca&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Bokeh Diem

3. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Some suggestions from a local

When in Aancortes, have a dinner at the "Star Bar". Great little bistro in the heart of downtown.

The North Cascades Highway (known locally as SR 20) is a nice drive BUT the stretch from Sedro-Wooley to Concrete is a seemingly endless strip-mall & stoplight affair. I HIGHLY recommend a slight detour via SR 530 to the south. It will take you up the Stillaguamish Valley, an unspoiled place, through the towns of Arlington and Darrington. The mountains above & around Darrington are breathtaking, and far more scenic than anything in the lower Skagit valley. From Darrington the road follows the Sauk river north to the Skagit where you pick up SR 20 again and can continue east over the Cascades.

Another worthwhile side trip for mountain scenery is SR 542. It takes you up to Artists Point between Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan. The scenery will blow your mind. This location is a landscape photographer's paradise. Once you arrive you'll recognize several vistas as they've been published in countless ads, magazines, calendars, etc yet you've never known where the images were shot. Shuksan is one of the most iconic mountains yet few people know where it is. Right here in northwest Washington:

[​IMG]

Feel free to give me a holler when you're around, I'd love to meet for a chat, gear gab, drink, bite, whatever. I'm a bit south & east of Anacortes, up in the Cascade foothills. email cg at goolsbee dot org

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Now, THAT"s an offer that just can't be refused.

Bokeh Diem