Well I did it. Went from GX8 to GX9 and back to the GX8 again

chaconi

World Tourist
Real Name
Not Chaconi
I had GAS for the GX9 so I sold my GX8 but soon regretted it. The GX9 is a great little rig but I sold for 3 reasons. 1. no weather seals, 2 EVF was a step backward and 3. The GX 8 was a better fit for my biggish hands. Subjective? yes.

Last edited:

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
And that’s why it’s called the GX7 mk3 in Japan, because they acknowledge that it’s not the same line of camera as the GX8.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I don’t view it as subjective. The camera that fits me best is the one I’m happy with. The specs are always greener on the other side if the fence. I pay little attention to them.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Yep, same for me. They got the innards right - G9 sensor, better shutter, better processor - but clothed them in a lesser body. I still sometimes consider a Gx9 to run alongside my Gx8 and G9, mainly for its smaller size and a very good sensor but every time I look at what its missing (from my perspective) it just doesnt make enough sense. The Em5iii ticks most boxes though.

Karl_Jr

Mu-43 Regular
1. Buy an umbrella
2. Add an eye cap to the camera
3. Attach the add on grip if you need to use a bigger lens

There, I solved all your problems :thumbsup:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The specs are always greener on the other side if the fence. I pay little attention to them.
That argument only holds up if there is grass on your side. But if you are coming from a concrete jungle then any amount of grass might look like heaven sent. However, a poor EVF is a poor EVF. No amount of soothing talk is going to fool my eyes into accepting the inferior EVF from the GX9 or GX80.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
I bought a GX9 to go with my Olympus EM1 Mk2 because I liked the small size and lightweight and, to be honest, I'd never had a rangefinder style camera before. The results were great, the viewfinder wasn't; it was like trying to take photographs looking through a keyhole! After 6 months I sold it and bought a G9, what a difference! It's quite big and bulky, but it still handles brilliantly, and the viewfinder ... superb!

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
That argument only holds up if there is grass on your side. But if you are coming from a concrete jungle then any amount of grass might look like heaven sent. However, a poor EVF is a poor EVF. No amount of soothing talk is going to fool my eyes into accepting the inferior EVF from the GX9 or GX80.
I’m a bit lost. There is no argument. All I’m saying is if it feels better in hand, it’s a good enough reason to take older tech (IBIS in this case).

Or visa versa. I have a GX85 and use the evf only. It’s good enough to compose with, adjust EV and easily see focus peaking with legacy lenses. I don’t need more.

jimmyzou

Mu-43 Regular
My hands are not big, but I actually want the grip to be bigger ( taller body to be exact), lol. So for sure GX8 over GX9

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One of my biggest desires, is for someone to figure out how to slip the GX9 shutter & IBIS mechanism into my GX8. Take my money. Yesterday.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
One of my biggest desires, is for someone to figure out how to slip the GX9 shutter & IBIS mechanism into my GX8. Take my money. Yesterday.
At some stage I hope to do a small write up of my new G90 after I have had a chance to try it out in anger. Too cold and overcast in the last couple of days to venture out. But in essence, the G90 has those missing features that I would have liked the GX8 to have, or a GX8 replacement to have had. That includes the G80 electro-mechanical shutter, Dual IBIS 2, focus bracketing, eye tracking.
But the GX8 is still king when it comes to using the EVF whilst wearing glasses.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
As far as I understand, G90 produces 10-bit RAW files when shooting in continuous drive or bracketing modes, including focus bracketing.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
As far as I understand, G90 produces 10-bit RAW files when shooting in continuous drive or bracketing modes, including focus bracketing.
I haven't got as far as shooting any pictures of value with it yet. But those are all thing son the cards. Mind you, I am not personally bothered by those issues. For scenes where I need a wide dynamic range and image punch it is the GX8 that gets the job.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
One of my biggest desires, is for someone to figure out how to slip a hires EVF into my sunglasses - the wireless connection to the camera body will allow good shooting!

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
And that’s why it’s called the GX7 mk3 in Japan,
because they acknowledge that it’s not the same
line of camera as the GX8.
The Japanese version of the name makes sense
to me. I loooove my little GX7s for being small
and rather basic. No relation to my GX8s at all
...... other than a tilting EVF ;-)

So it's easy for me to see why an improved GX7
would still be called a GX7 mk3. Why hide from
such an honorable lineage ?

chaconi

World Tourist
Real Name
Not Chaconi
49330865163_bceee1d986_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GX8 with Leica 15mm glass.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Having started with a GX7 a few years ago, and loving it to death (well, not quite), then buying used copies of a GX9 and a GX8 this summer to battle out a winner, I finally feel qualified to join this discussion!

On holidays in Tasmania, the GX9's 20MP sensor was a revelation compared with 16MP (the detail and clarity, oh my!) From the beginning, I loved the results compared with the GX7, especially the improved usability of the in-camera panorama for holiday snaps, though the ergonomics were poorer - I even got the accessory grip and eye cup, but found them more bothersome - and the EVF worse for my bespectacled vision.

Since I got home and have been using the GX8, I can say it has won this battle hands down, in main because of the ability to customise so many buttons - which I didn't realise was such a good thing, being largely content with touch screen access - and also the gorgeous grip and EVF. With the exception of my preference for a tilting screen, I love it.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I haven't used GX9 yet (brief handling session at a store doesn't count), but I can see why GX8 is so popular. The buttons... the dials... the viewfinder! It really is a classic camera and I regret that I opted for the GX85 back in 2016.

Latest threads

Top Bottom