Well I did it. Went from GX8 to GX9 and back to the GX8 again

chaconi

Mu-43 Regular
I had GAS for the GX9 so I sold my GX8 but soon regretted it. The GX9 is a great little rig but I sold for 3 reasons. 1. no weather seals, 2 EVF was a step backward and 3. The GX 8 was a better fit for my biggish hands. Subjective? yes.

Last edited:

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
And that’s why it’s called the GX7 mk3 in Japan, because they acknowledge that it’s not the same line of camera as the GX8.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I don’t view it as subjective. The camera that fits me best is the one I’m happy with. The specs are always greener on the other side if the fence. I pay little attention to them.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Yep, same for me. They got the innards right - G9 sensor, better shutter, better processor - but clothed them in a lesser body. I still sometimes consider a Gx9 to run alongside my Gx8 and G9, mainly for its smaller size and a very good sensor but every time I look at what its missing (from my perspective) it just doesnt make enough sense. The Em5iii ticks most boxes though.

Karl_Jr

Mu-43 Regular
1. Buy an umbrella
2. Add an eye cap to the camera
3. Attach the add on grip if you need to use a bigger lens

There, I solved all your problems :thumbsup:

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The specs are always greener on the other side if the fence. I pay little attention to them.
That argument only holds up if there is grass on your side. But if you are coming from a concrete jungle then any amount of grass might look like heaven sent. However, a poor EVF is a poor EVF. No amount of soothing talk is going to fool my eyes into accepting the inferior EVF from the GX9 or GX80.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
I bought a GX9 to go with my Olympus EM1 Mk2 because I liked the small size and lightweight and, to be honest, I'd never had a rangefinder style camera before. The results were great, the viewfinder wasn't; it was like trying to take photographs looking through a keyhole! After 6 months I sold it and bought a G9, what a difference! It's quite big and bulky, but it still handles brilliantly, and the viewfinder ... superb!

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
That argument only holds up if there is grass on your side. But if you are coming from a concrete jungle then any amount of grass might look like heaven sent. However, a poor EVF is a poor EVF. No amount of soothing talk is going to fool my eyes into accepting the inferior EVF from the GX9 or GX80.
I’m a bit lost. There is no argument. All I’m saying is if it feels better in hand, it’s a good enough reason to take older tech (IBIS in this case).

Or visa versa. I have a GX85 and use the evf only. It’s good enough to compose with, adjust EV and easily see focus peaking with legacy lenses. I don’t need more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom