Well, back to m43 (again)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Dec 13, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just ordered an EPL7.

I swore I wouldn't be back. That I'd make the Sony system work: a7 + a6000 + RX100, and that I would force myself to shoot Sony-only in 2016.

Is Dec 13th close enough (my last m43 shot was 12/29/15)?

On their way from B&H store: EPL7 w/kit lens, O9-18 and P45-150. Looking to add a used P20, and for ~$1000 that will be a great, compact travel kit. (actually, almost all of this will be recouped by selling my Sony APS-C gear, so it's really a lateral move for a more travel-friendly setup)

Reasons for the return to m43:
    1) Lenses -- size, quality and cost. For Sony, lenses come in two types for the most part -- cheap-and-it-shows, or good, expensive and big (at least 2 of the 3, and often all 3). I want good, compact and affordable. There aren't enough options for a kit like that in Sony.

2) Fun. The a6000 is just not that fun to shoot. Neither is the RX100 nor the a7, but the RX100 and a7 have niche uses that I need. The middle camera is supposed to be my "fun" and "inspiring" everyday-use camera, and the a6000 just isn't.

The EPL7 looks fun -- flip screen, touch-to-shoot, Oly filters and jpg control, an actual dial (as opposed to the previous EPL or EPM series) and I do find the selfie thing useful for travel. We did a lot of family selfies in London in 2015 with the O9-18, but without the selfie screen. The screen will help a lot for sure.

3) JPG shooting. I went all Sony for several reasons, but one is because of their better saturated colors and high ISO. Oddly, I miss the color response of my old Oly's, the (IMO) superior OOC B&W, and because I like to shoot jpg, the better in-camera controls for jpg shooting. I'll keep the a7, so if I need "super clean" I'm covered there, but I do miss Oly jpg.

Any rate, hope to see the goods in a few days, and will post some pictures.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Not that we don't welcome you back, but have you looked at the a6300 or a6500. Those may be better handling, 'fun to shoot' cameras. They have more features than the a6000, at least.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The a6300 and 6500 are better at video and have better AF. But they are priced very high, and that doesn't solve the lens or jpg issue. I checked a couple of online reviews on the a6300, and the jpg continue to get middling ratings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't think Sony is interested in solving the lens issue.

mft is outstanding for those wanting lens options.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Sadly, those cameras have essentially cloned the handling problems of the A6000. The A6500's touchscreen should have been a major leap in the right direction, but all the reviewers seem disappointed by its implementation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I dabbled with the A7rii earlier this year and as good as it is in sensor terms, as a system it didn't work for me - and for much the same reasons you listed. I'm an amateur and TBH I can't justify multiple systems based on specific use cases. I want one system that does near enough everything and u43 gets about the closest.

I've just bought a Pen F and boy, is that a camera that brings a smile to my face! If I'm totally honest and don't go pixel peeking then the IQ is plenty for what I do.

Welcome back. Now sell the Sony gear and buy a E-M1ii!

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    lol. No, I'll keep the Sony's for now. Not the least of which is to make sure I like the change back. The a7 pairs with a 70-200 for my kids event shooting, and the RX100 is the "super lightweight" option, but the a6000 and 50-210 are certainly on the bubble. The FE28/2 is a very nice lens, and easily give that "DOF" when used on the a7. Might keep that for as long as the a7 stays around.

I do like the idea of the Pen F, and I dare not even handle one, as I don't have the money for it, so maybe in a year or two. But the EPL7 + P20 will be an awfully compact little gem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    There really is something to be said for the fun factor. I hardly ever pick up my A7 and reach for my e5mii 9 times out of 10 just because of this. The Sony just feels clunky. Also the lens problem with Sony has been known for years and really isn't getting better in regards to size/weight/price for the good stuff and even more so with their APS-C stuff.

Its a system I want to love but just doesn't click yet

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I see Sony's system as being a good choice as a digital back for legacy glass. Especially since they have added IBIS to both the a7 and a6500. You could use a nifty fifty and get a full frame as well as a 75mm equivalent on a kit with both bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Though in that role M4/3 works just as well, really. I find FF + M4/3 to be a more useful spread than FF + APS-C, and that same nifty fifty is (my opinion) more useful as a 100mm equivalent than a 75mm. The adaptors only cost $10-15, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That was my thought, too, but I just find I don't use my manual glass. I see by your sig line, that it may be a different story for you ;)

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, welcome to the club. I have an A7II which I use as an adapted lens digital back. I use the Techart Pro AF adapter that makes all my MF glass auto focus. I keep my E-M5 II bodies for native lenses that just aren't available in other mounts. I love my 8mm 1.8 Pro and 75mm 1.8 lenses!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Welcome back to the family, WT21! It wasn't the same without you.

I keep casting glances at the Sony A7 series too but always come to the same conclusion as you did regarding lenses: either cheap in price and quality or nice lenses that are expensive and way too big. m4/3 truly hits the sweet spot of quality vs. portability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The worst part -- waiting around for the brown truck. Every engine rumble, and I run to look out the window. Like a kid at Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It's very useful having your contributions here @WT21@WT21 so your purchasing decision is handy for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The Brown Truck came!

Goodness -- man, this is certainly what I wanted. I am pretty sure the a6000 will go up for sale
    Badness -- the used camera from B&H is more brassed than I expected. Also, no box or caps, which I missed in the posting. I might return it and spend a bit more for a new or newer one. Spending a bit more will be fine, as I think this one will be a keeper for a while.

I'll try to post a review at some point, even though I think it's like a 2014 model, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Go get a Pen-F. You know you want to! Fantastic camera. The most photo fun I've had in a while. ISO 80 and the new 20Mp sensor is fantastic. Works great with legacy lenses too - good focus peeking and the ability to create a list of lenses with EXIF info and focal length to set the IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm talking about spending $300 and you're pushing me to a $1,000 lol.

You are right on all accounts, of course, but I will wait for the price to get within my reach.

19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Always happy to help others spend their money!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Immediate happiness:
    • S-AF lock on speed, including in twilight, 1000% better than Sony a6000
    • Fits in my jacket pocket
    • Shutter sound
    • Small output files
    • Quick SD card format