1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Welcome to the noob parade

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Czar Alexander, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Czar Alexander

Czar Alexander New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2013
    Hey all, I am just getting into photography (just got a Panasonic G5) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for getting the hang of things. I'd appreciate any advice you have or if you could direct me to some helpful beginners guides. I'm sure someone has asked this before, so feel free to direct me to another thread.

2. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    There is a video on how to set-up the G5, I think I've seen it on one of the mirrorless sites from Will Crockett.
    For the start I would set the G5 into A or P mode, use a single focus point, exposure compensation on the little lever behind the shutter and start shooting. Photography is lots of practice and gear doesn't matter as much as some people think.
    After shooting for a weekend come back here, post some photos and ask for further advice...
    Have fun...

3. Czar Alexander

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks!

I'll definitely look into that setup video, I think I may have seen it in passing too but it slipped my mind. Next time I'm out with the camera I'll try what you suggested for the shooting mode and focus point. I really appreciate the help, thanks.

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I use the center focus point. Also, be careful setting the exposure comp on the little lever...it moves if you even think about it. Also, with the G5, as others have suggested here, jpg's arent' that great SOOC. So I would suggest reading the manual on this forum for settings for jpg. Otherwise shoot RAW, and edit in almost any photo editing program, or if unavailable, the software that came with your camera.
    Any beginner photo book should do just fine for starters. Photography is much more then the box we use to capture light. Learn about aperture and shutter speed and lighting. But since it is digital, shoot away, all the info for getting better is contained in the file, not like the old days when we had to remember to write down every setting for every picture and hope we did it right.

5. solidsnake

solidsnake Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    shoot shoot shoot.

the longer you get used to your gear, the better you learn more about not only your rig but about how YOU shoot.

dont overstudy anything and everything and enjoy the scenery sometime too. :wink:

6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

+1. If you see an inage thats great for you, try emulating it. Add your own twist. Be more creative. Browse theough people's sites and streams on flickr. That helped me a lot

7. Czar Alexander

Sep 22, 2013
    Do you guys suggest I use RAW or JPEG?

8. solidsnake

solidsnake Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    this is a grey area, a lot of people may say go full RAW and devoid using jpeg, others are adamant that JPEG's are good enough etc... the variables that may come in play are

- are you taking pictures for profit?
    - how big of a print are you going to use?
    - do you have enough space on your SD card?
    - editing software, better on RAW or JPEG?

Again, a lot of variables, subjectivity and objectivity included. :wink:

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Might want to try a search (on the forums) for recommended reading - I know, doesn't sound like much fun but there is lots of good stuff there!

I think you will find many like the Scott Kelby books http://kelbytraining.com/store/products/photography

Or the Bryan Peterson books like "Understanding Exposure".

Spend a lot of time looking a good photos for inspiration!

10. Czar Alexander

Sep 22, 2013
    Right now I'm just working with the camera, although I may get lightroom at somepoint, so I guess I will stick with JPEGs. I am definitely not doing any work for hire, this is just for my own enjoyment. It seems like JPEGs make the most sense for me right now at least since I don't plan on doing any editing and they are very easy to share if I so choose. I will look into getting some introductory books. Again thanks to everyone for all the help, you guys make up a fantastic community of photographers here. Hopefully I will be posting some pictures of my local Cambridge/Boston skyline soon!

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Even with JPEG I would recommend doing some minor processing in post.

Anyways, my best advice is to shoot shoot shoot. You can read all you want but there is no better way to learn than actual hands on experience. Shoot as often as you can and practice practice practice.

12. Czar Alexander

Sep 22, 2013
    pictures

Here are a few picture I took this evening, some of them are a bit blurry/ out of focus, oh well.

KttRftRh.
    2q965s1h.
    jepPAXvh.
    NT3iyKxh.
    UaHMnh7h.
    dd5OULVh.
    AbUcKwEh.

Attached Files:

13. solidsnake

solidsnake Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    well, thats the first step Mr. Czar Alexander, go all in or nothing at all. :D

keep at it, and dont let anyones criticism get to you in a bad way. we learn to become better thru experience and hopefully thru the guidance of our colleagues and friends.

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wow you're shooting in some pretty poor light conditions.

15. Czar Alexander

Sep 22, 2013
    Wow, it was 11:15 pm on a cloudy day. I thought it was clear that I'm just messing around, but I guess not.