1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Welcome to the Mu-43.com Astrophotography Subforum

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    By request, we now have an astrophotography subforum. Over the next couple of days, I'll be moving the relevant existing threads here. I'm looking forward to seeing what our members post!

Credit to slothead for thinking about this forum and testing for interest from members. Thanks, Tom!

• Like Like x 10
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Excellent news, look forward to posting some shots when it gets warm enough to venture outside!

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks!

4. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Looking forward to posting some shots as well... except we have had almost 2 months of cloudy nights where I live.. arghh

5. nebulight

nebulight Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Thank you thank you!! This is great news as I've been trying to get my feet wet with m43 astro work.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    Thanks a bunch, now I can bore you all with my moon and Jupiter shots!

Jason

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

OK... prepare to see some very very beginner astro shots :)

8. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Does anyone have a good guide to getting started with this?

Equipment I have currently:

E-PM2, kit 14-42 II R, kit 40-150, PL14

What I'm hoping to add (which MIGHT allow for my to try this):

E-M10, 14-42 EZ or PL 12-32

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I did try google (E-M10 astrophotrography) but didn't see anything that would help me get started - i.e. how to properly execute multiple exposures, etc.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What exactly are you wanting to do? Widefield or are you wanting to do telescope?

If you live where you have dark sky, widefield using a fast wide lens with 10-15s exposures is pretty easy to do. Longer exposures for star trails is also something to do. For widefield or semi-widefield longer exposures require a tracking mount of some sorts.

Then there is telescope astrophotography which gets into a whole bigger world.

A place to start: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/low

10. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Sorry.

Star trails mostly.

No telescope.

I don't live in a particularly "dark sky" area, but I travel quite a bit (and would like to experiment then - for instance, next summer I plan to spend some time in Big Bend National Park).

So is 14 f/2.5 wide/fast enough to do anything - or is there a recommended lens / length / speed I need to look for?

Thank you again.

And I am reading the link after responding to this - so the questions above might already be answered.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A sturdy tripod is a must. The sturdier the better.