1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

weird yellow and green band on PL2, EP2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AY416, Mar 29, 2011.

1. AY416

AY416 New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a PL2 today and notice something very weird

[​IMG]
    By andyyuen at 2011-03-29

[​IMG]
    By andyyuen at 2011-03-29

I notice that when i try to point at anything white, i see these bands... and once i pressed half shutter, it will still be there, but more faint, when i take a picture, the band is not in the picture file.
    (currently I am indoors without any windows)

After I see this on my PL2, I tried it on the EP2, same thing
    Does anyone know why this happen?

2. craig1912

craig1912 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    My EPL2 doesn't show that. Are you using the same lens on both cameras? Does it show using all lenses?

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Moiré patterns are one of the most useful focusing aids that my E-P1 has. (-:

5. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    This is so true :smile:

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you have florescent lighting that could be the contributor. The AC household power supply has a frequency of 60Hz ( could vary slightly depending what country) and florescent lighting will show this pulse. Now it's possible that your screen refresh rate is the same as the AC pulse and it will show as banding on your screen.

This is why in machining shops they don't like to use florescent lighting because if a maching is spinning at the same frequency as the light- it will cancel each other out and will appear as tho it's not running at all.

7. AY416

AY416 New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your response. Yes I was under fluorescent lighting, how does Moiré patterns help focusing if you dont mind explaining

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    If you're focusing on a subject or area with a repeated pattern (a fence, carpet, wood grain, the front of a speaker, net curtains... anything) you'll notice that distinct Moiré patterns are caused by interference of that pattern with the pixels on the screen, but only if they're resolved adequately. This resolution indicates good focus. It's normally a good enough indicator that I don't have to use anything else with my manual lens.

It's not good for focusing on faces or eyes, but the biggest advantage is that it's always available. It's not a "feature" but an accidental artefact. I find myself using it instinctively.

9. AY416

AY416 New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2011
    thanks for the tip