Weird Problem With E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by grinny, Apr 25, 2014.

1. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I just purchased my OMD E-M5 camera and Panasonic 20mm lens, but I have problem as you can see at photos below.

When I shoot JPEG (and RAW too I guess, I'm not sure) photos look like the first photo, red and yellow pixels everywhere.

But when I import RAW (ORF) file to Lightroom, photo looks normal as 2. photo below.

What might be the problem? I can't see these pixels in liveview, but they are there when I shoot filming too.

http://imgur.com/4RgZWjZ
    http://imgur.com/IgAv117

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Your RAW will always look different from your JPEG.

I'm guessing those are jpeg artifacts, you can probably futz with your settings and perhaps roll back on in-camera sharpening/compression to see if they go away. Personally, I only shoot RAW and export jpegs after tweaking. I used to shoot RAW+JPEG but found I never used the OOC jpeg, so figured I'd save storage space a bit by only shooting RAW.

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    BTW, I couldn't see the problem described until I downloaded the two samples and viewed at full-size.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Weird. They're not hot pixels - they look like some form of CA. A bug in the JPEG processing perhaps. What ISO do you see these at?

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Weird for sure. That shouldn't happen. The first thing I would do is switch to vivid, or some other JPEG mode (or better yet, one of the scene/art modes), fire a few shots, then switch back. That might reset something in the JPEG processing settings. Its worth a try...

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    There is nothing wrong with the camera, the problem is your settings. You have over saturated the picture. Perhaps a vivid setting of some sort?

The reason it is OK in Lightroom is that Lightroom is ignoring the picture controls you have set in the camera. Reset your controls to normal and the problem will go away.

7. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Even when I just shoot RAW, I can see these pixels on the camera preview after I shoot a photo. And then I import the RAW to LR all these red and green pixels go away it becomes into a normal photo.

I have the same problem while shooting video too actually, but they don't go away after importing to LR. I guess it might be a compression issue of the camera:(

8. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Even at ISO 200, and in Video mode too.

9. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Hmm, I did try that but no use, it gives me same results in different modes too. Only in BW modes it goes away, obviously.

10. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I resetted every setting, and I'm shooting in Normal mode.

11. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Have you tried letting the camera go to sleep, then holding down the shutter button to immediately focus and fire off a shot from sleep? If you do this, does the jpeg still look like that?

Are you using a cheap SD card? Years ago I remember a particular cheap SD card in one of my cameras did this.

If the camera turns on the SD card to write while it "bakes" the jpeg then the SD card could be injecting electrical noise. In RAW mode, the file is written directly to the card after capture, so there's no interference during capture. The card being powered up for writing could be interfering with the jpeg engine.

Try another card.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sounds like a JPEG setting problem then. Lightroom ignores your JPEG settings, so importing the ORF there works fine.

It looks almost like CA correction gone bad, except the E-M5 doesn't have CA correction. See what happens if you open the same RAW file in Olympus Viewer though - unlike Lightroom it uses the JPEG settings.

Can you post an ORF on dropbox? It'd probably be easier to diagnose based an actual file.

An interesting idea, but why would only the JPEG be affected?

13. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Yes actually SD Card came to my mind too, I bought a not too serious Lexar 200x 16 GB Class 10 card. Unfortunately I don't have other card but when I try shooting without a card, 1 second preview of camera shows same problem. But I can only guess, because I can't zoom in and look for red pixels when camera doesn't have a card in it.

I'm giving the latest photo I took with the camera in RAW and Camera JPEG below,

14. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I had a camera that did this ... Basically the JPEG engine first sets the SD card up to be written to. Whatever that entailed caused electrical noise to run all the way through the camera and it was enough to bungle very fine processing of the JPEG because the noise is present after de-bayering - creating blobs of colour like that.

When writing RAW there is no processing, it's only sending the stream of 0s and 1s, since there's usually error coding embedded in the raw data the electrical noise doesn't affect the RAW file.

Switching the card out to a Lexar card actually fixed the problem and that bad SD card was sent to the trash bin. The bad card was a cheap Kingston.

15. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Put the original ORF and JPEG on my previous post, thanks for help:)

Edit: Oops sorry fixed the links.

16. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I did the sleep/shooting too but no use, same problem occurs.

17. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I tried to open the RAW in Olympus Viewer, and yes even RAW shows the same problem. When I open the RAW in Lightroom, it shows the problem for 2 seconds and then it corrects itself, becomes a normal photo.

You can find the correct links for RAW and JPEG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j60aoh3h3us4x0n/P4260046.ORF
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj6idnge0rx3qd2/P4260046.JPG

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When you shoot raw the preview you see is made from the current JPEG settings. When Lightroom opens the raw file you see the embedded JPEG until the file is processed.

It sounds like the problem is either the JPEG settings or the JPEG processing. If it's the processing it could be corrupted software or defective hardware. I don't know how to fix either. If there's a way to rewrite the firmware it might fix the problem.

Fred

19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Update the camera software to the current version. If that doesn't fix it, take it back

20. grinny

grinny Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Yea, I updated the firmware before I got the lens so I don't know if it acted like that in Fw. 1.20. But Ex-owner said he didn't have any problems. Is there a way to revert firmware update?