Weird LightRoom 3 Help

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Empireme, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I've studied LightRoom3 for a few weeks now and I'm really confident with it. (I'm still learning the creative side, but now I know which buttons do what...)

But I must have made a few changes perhaps by accidentally hitting a few keystrokes with my command or control button.

And this just started happening...

When I raise my noise reduction (luminance) Lightroom 3 does not show me a preview of the changes. However, when I change the picture size from FIT to 1:1 ratio, THEN it shows me the effects of my adjustments to the luminance bar.

And when I return back to the FIT window screen (as this is the way I normally view my pictures), it returns the picture back to "pre-luminance" adjustment. Thankfully, when I export my pictures, it shows the adjustment.

How do I fix this? I've been looking at it all morning. :confused:
  2. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I'm fairly certain that Lightroom only applies sharpening and noise reduction when you've zoomed in to at least 50%. All of the "live previews" of the data that you see when you twiddle the sliders are only being calculated on the reduced-resolution version of the image that you see on the screen, and sharpening and NR are scale-dependent - i.e. the results would look very different if you applied them to a shrunk version rather than the original image.
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Some effects like sharpening are only visible at certain magnifications, so although the effect may be applied, you might not see it if you are on small monitor or have all the toolbars open. In those situations you should see an exclamation next to the slider indicating that the effect is not visible at the current magnification. Zoom in and the exclamation should go away and you should see the effect
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I messed with it and realized that it was only for that one collection in my catalogue. It performs like normal in all other catalogues, collections, and their folders.... And I can live with that!