1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Weird increase in focusing speed: E-M5, etc

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Apr 23, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    • Like Like x 6
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Interesting stuff Tom. Thanks.

G

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, I gave it a try and I see no meaningful difference on my E-PM1. Anybody else had any luck?

On the face of it, it seems absurd that a JPEG setting should make a significant difference in AF processing, but I guess stranger things have proven true on occasion... Thanks,

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I tried it on the E-M5 with 20mm.
    I didn't find any significant speed in the AF.
    20mm is still slow to focus. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Why would this be? I am going to try it, but it would be nice to understand the inner workings of this quirk.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If there's a contrast setting, try bumping that up and test again. It is contrast based AF..

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

I was actually going to post about it myself. I had the E-M5 set to vivid first (with PL 25/1.4), then toyed with the settings, and suddenly I noticed that the AF *slowed down* in low light. I started wondering what caused this. I was even suspecting the IS on half-press, which was irrational but was the only major setting change. I'll do a few tests with/without vivid and with boosted contrast and let you know.

9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I think the main differences they are on about are low light focussing and C-AF improvements, I don't think they said the S-AF focus speed in normal lighting was improved.

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.