Weird increase in focusing speed: E-M5, etc

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Apr 23, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    • Like Like x 6
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Interesting stuff Tom. Thanks.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, I gave it a try and I see no meaningful difference on my E-PM1. Anybody else had any luck?

On the face of it, it seems absurd that a JPEG setting should make a significant difference in AF processing, but I guess stranger things have proven true on occasion... Thanks,

• Like Like x 1
  4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I tried it on the E-M5 with 20mm.
    I didn't find any significant speed in the AF.
    20mm is still slow to focus. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Why would this be? I am going to try it, but it would be nice to understand the inner workings of this quirk.
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If there's a contrast setting, try bumping that up and test again. It is contrast based AF..
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I was actually going to post about it myself. I had the E-M5 set to vivid first (with PL 25/1.4), then toyed with the settings, and suddenly I noticed that the AF *slowed down* in low light. I started wondering what caused this. I was even suspecting the IS on half-press, which was irrational but was the only major setting change. I'll do a few tests with/without vivid and with boosted contrast and let you know.
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I think the main differences they are on about are low light focussing and C-AF improvements, I don't think they said the S-AF focus speed in normal lighting was improved.