1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weird, if not wonderful

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by BigTom, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Hi all,

Spent the weekend camping at a spot called St Abbs head in the Scottish borders. Lots of photo opportunities here but this was one of those situations where weather, tides and too much whisky conspired to dull the photographic achievements.

After a lacklustre sunset, a night of featureless cloud cover and a too-late start in the morning, I decided to pack it in and go for a wander on the beach, having dumped most of my photo gear except for the E-M5 and, randomly, a Hoya R72 IR filter.

As a bit of sun broke through i thought I'd see whether the combination of image stabilisation and reasonable high ISO performance would allow hand holding with with the filter on.

So here we are, some slightly odd looking handheld IR shots at ISO 1600 and 1/2 second long exposures. You couldn't print them terribly large, but they turned out surprisingly OK I thought -

And in case those left you a bit queasy, the previous evening's pleasant but dull efforts -

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. otaillon

otaillon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    The last one is my favorite. Great contrast between the rocks and the water. A very good job

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice compositions and despite the odd colours, they really work! Well done.

Might be worth a monochrome look too?

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    The IR certainly makes the seaweed look quite ghostly and alien.

I like it! :2thumbs: