Weird Green Tint on RAW

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cucco, Jan 23, 2011.

1. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Using my new GH2 now for a few days, I've only used high-rez JPEGs. I decided to switch to RAW and try some comparison samples. My RAW images have the coolest shade of deep green though. I have the White Balance set at auto and the JPEGs turned out just fine. In Lightroom, I can't get the white balance set right to make it look normal.

Has anyone else encountered this? Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
  2. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA

You did not mention the computer and software you are using. Just hazarding a guess. It seems Apple computers using Aperture or iPhoto exhibit this problem. Do these conditions apply to you?

If so, it is a problem with the Apple software and one will have to wait for that to be updated for the problem to be corrected. As a workaround, you can convert the file to DNG with Adobe.

3. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Thanks Brian!
    Yes, I'm using a MacBook Pro with the latest updates. After doing a little research, I think your conclusion is spot on. Sad.....
    Oh well, in the mean time, I'll wait. Of course, I could use my wife's photo editing machine...if she'll let me.

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Raw Photo Processor might work.

All the best,

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Question: In the original post, it said Lightroom, which is Adobe software, but the second post mentioned iPhoto and Aperture, which are Apple software.

I haven't been using RAW with my Panasonic, but I haven't observed any greenness issues with my Leica and Aperture.

Is this a Panasonic-specific issue?

I'd like to be able to set up a case where I can file a bug report with Apple with supporting documentation, thus the questions.
  6. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Deirdre -

In my case, it appears to be Panasonic specific. I have the green tint in both Light Room and iPhoto. However, my Olympus EPL1 and my Minolta 7Ds do not have this tint.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    In your processing software, if you hit auto WB, it should clear up. I also use Auto Tone... then the images look normal.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

It's such an interesting thing. Sometimes I have this problem with my LX5 (I use Lightroom) and I employ Don's (Streetshooter) methods, but sometimes it's pretty darn close to perfect.
  9. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    That was the first thing I luck.
    It's definitely not a white balance problem in this case - no WB setting would fix it.
  10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    In the six months I used Adobe Camera RAW shooting RAW files with my G1 and GF1, I didn't encounter anything like what is described - the images just looked anemic until you worked with them. I found that to be very bothersome. I like the image, out of the camera, to pop and give me a "wow" reaction. That way I can sort through them and pick out the good ones.

At the moment I have given up on shooting RAW because I can and have adjusted both of these cameras so that they give me what I want right out of the camera shooting JPEGs. Basically it involved using the "Cloudy" WB setting but moving it one notch toward blue and three notches toward magenta. I then use Film Mode "Dynamic", but cut back one notch on contrast and noise reduction and go up one notch on sharpenning and saturation. This gives me reliable predictable results in most all situations. Whatever the natual light is, that is what I get in the image. It is not neutralized out by changing the white balance for each situation. I keep these settings dialed in at all times, just as you would use your favorite film like Velvia or Ektachrome 100 in any situation.

I have also given up on Adobe RGB color space and have gone with sRGB. There are just as many colors, they are just spread over a somewhat narrower area. But being closer together may make their transition smoother from color to color. It also makes getting outside prints from Kodak or donig a book with Blurb way easier since sRGB is the color space the rest of the world uses. The colors are just as vibrant and wonderful with my Epson 4000 printer as they were before.

For the exposure, I shoot in Aperture Priority and with the live histogram there just adjust Exp. Compensation so the right side of the histogram just touches the right edge. In post processing I just make a few tweaks and I'm done (a little more sharpenning and perhaps a little more saturation) The G1 and GF1 are proving to shoot incredibly good JPGs when they are adjusted and seasoned to taste as above. Once so adjusted, you have little to fiddle with - just decide on the depth of field and get the exposure right. The rest is composition.
  11. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    A GH2 problem only

Hello Deirdre,

I believe the post by Cucco did not mention any software product and my response was the query asking if he was using Aperture or iPhoto. To this question he answered that he was using Apple software.

The problem is restricted to the Panasonic GH2-I've used Aperture on the G1, GH1, and G2 and their RAW files are translated without the green hue. This problem has been reported to Apple by other users of the GH2-but the more complaints to that company the better. Hopefully it will be corrected shortly, but now I am shooting RAW plus JPEG and hoping the correction will correct the file stored in my Aperture library.

12. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I can confirm

I'm a victim of Apple's failure to product test. They claim that camera RAW 3.5.5 provides RAW capability for GH2 in Aperture 3.1.1. It doesn't. Images are imported with pronounced green tint and crushed blacks and cannot be corrected by anything many of us have tried. Apple's Aperture forum has many users with same problem. I've trashed Aperture and Apple is crediting my account. I've already ordered Lightroom.