Weird focusing question...

Ashenwelt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Robert
Ok this is gonna sound stupid... but I am new to Panny with a G9. With any other camera I have had I simply do a minor reorient in the odd and rare case that I end up focusing on chain link fence instead of what is behind it.

With the G9 I appear to need to go manual focus. This seems weird... is there a setting I should be using for focusing in that situation?

I know... total newb to panny here. But man it is so weird getting to know a new camera. So far my only complaints are that and battery life.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What focus mode are you in. For this situation you ideally would want to be using 1-point AF (or even the pinpoint feature) so you can be sure to be putting the AF spot not on the chain-link but in the openings between. If you are instead using something like one of the larger area focusing where you let the camera pick from hundreds of focus points, there is a good chance it will pick a point on a big of fencing.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Have you tried the near/far? It'll ignore that fence for you. I have mine programmed to the two function buttons next to the lens. They're easy to reach with your fingers without adjusting your grip.

Not sure how old your body is, you may need to update the firmware. The last few have been huge improvements in focusing options.

Ashenwelt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Robert
Have you tried the near/far? It'll ignore that fence for you. I have mine programmed to the two function buttons next to the lens. They're easy to reach with your fingers without adjusting your grip.

Not sure how old your body is, you may need to update the firmware. The last few have been huge improvements in focusing options.
Near far sounds awesome. Have 2.4 so I will try and dig in.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Congratulations on your new camera. The G9 is a powerfull camera, and has a lot of functions and customizations. You're not alone, I still refer to the manual and online resources for G9 functions after 3.5 years. The G9's default settings is a great place to start. From there you can experiment with different changes to the default to see what works and what doesn't. And what works best for your style and type of shooting. Enjoy your new camera.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom