weird flickering

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by aonavy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I dont think I have had this issue in the past.

the leds on PC blink. why is this?

GH2 with flow motion hack

filmed with 4.5mm-12mm CCTV lens

Weird flickering - YouTube

thanks

2. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    They probably use PWM to change the brightness of the LEDs, and it probably just so happens that the frequency is close to a multiple of the shutter speed.

3. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd get ready to buy and install a new power supply. As a matter of fact, I'd do it now. I believe you have a rectifier or bridge circuit breaking down.

4. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I was able to find the answer in another forum.

The LEDs are flickering because of the frequency at which they normally cycle (usually around 60Hz, but I'm not sure for that keyboard). What FPS/shutter speed are you shooting? If you're shooting at 24p, try a shutter speed of 1/40. A more detailed explanation of what's happening is below, if you happen to be interested:

When you see an LED glowing, it's not actually continuously emitting light - it flickers on and off very quickly in order to appear like it is, usually something like 60 times a second. So if you're filming and your shutter speed is faster than the frequency of the LEDs, you can capture frames where the LED is off, making it look flickery on the resulting recording. Dropping your shutter speed should help somewhat, as it means there's more time for the LED to turn back on for any given frame and emit light to the sensor, making the LED appear lit in each frame.