1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weird Flash issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Nov 28, 2013.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm new to the forum and to m43. a couple days ago I got the E-M1

Tonight I was using it indoors with the little flash that comes with it - set the camera to iAuto.

I depress the shutter, and got a long exposure, and finally a flash. as if the flash wasn't charged initially and then fired.
    the picture is all blurry and useless. a couple were ok

then I switched to "A" mode and the flash seemed to work better - but perhaps I was waiting for it to charge.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

2. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I don't have an E-M1, but I'm wondering if you had the ISO set low? Or the scene mode on iAuto on night time portrait? Most cameras have a default ISO they use with flash (my E-M5 is 400), and you can change this. If you happened to be at ISO 400 and a smaller aperture, the camera might have been compensating by lengthening the exposure. Try shooting in manual mode and put it at a decent shutter speed (maybe 1/50), give it a little ISO for the low light, and get a nice open aperture, and see if helps out. Of course keep in mind that you might need a bit more power than they little pop up flash.

When I use flash, I'm almost always in manual mode- and because the flash is set to TTL metering, it works sort of like a "flash priority" mode. You can set all the variables yourself and the camera will automatically use the flash power to create a correct exposure. This is limited only by the power of the flash. You can actually also use it as an "ISO priority" mode as well, if you don't have a flash attached.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sounds like whatever iAuto picked involved second curtain flash. Useful if you need to highly expose foreground and still expose a distant background correctly.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app