Weird Flash issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Nov 28, 2013.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm new to the forum and to m43. a couple days ago I got the E-M1

Tonight I was using it indoors with the little flash that comes with it - set the camera to iAuto.

I depress the shutter, and got a long exposure, and finally a flash. as if the flash wasn't charged initially and then fired.
    the picture is all blurry and useless. a couple were ok

then I switched to "A" mode and the flash seemed to work better - but perhaps I was waiting for it to charge.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

2. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I don't have an E-M1, but I'm wondering if you had the ISO set low? Or the scene mode on iAuto on night time portrait? Most cameras have a default ISO they use with flash (my E-M5 is 400), and you can change this. If you happened to be at ISO 400 and a smaller aperture, the camera might have been compensating by lengthening the exposure. Try shooting in manual mode and put it at a decent shutter speed (maybe 1/50), give it a little ISO for the low light, and get a nice open aperture, and see if helps out. Of course keep in mind that you might need a bit more power than they little pop up flash.

When I use flash, I'm almost always in manual mode- and because the flash is set to TTL metering, it works sort of like a "flash priority" mode. You can set all the variables yourself and the camera will automatically use the flash power to create a correct exposure. This is limited only by the power of the flash. You can actually also use it as an "ISO priority" mode as well, if you don't have a flash attached.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sounds like whatever iAuto picked involved second curtain flash. Useful if you need to highly expose foreground and still expose a distant background correctly.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.