1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

weird day with my E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcake, May 18, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    so last sunday i took my new E-PM2 out for the day and got sharp, in-focus clear pics. i was very happy, and have taken some pics, but not that many, during the week with similar results.

yesterday i happily took up in the morning for a photo walkabout. each pic was sharp and in-focus as i shot it, with the focus box in the area i was focusing and a confirmation beep. i had the best time i've had taking pics in years.

but when i got home and checked the pics on my computer, all but 5 out of around 100 were either very sort or often were focused in an area that was neither where i wanted them to be nor was it the area the focus box had shown each time. one, for example, had a flower in the center. i could see every detail in my VF-2 perfectly, and got a focus confirmation. yet in the pic, a leaf at the far left was in perfect focus, the flower sort of blurry. i tried another 20 shots a few hours later with the same results - btw, 10 of those shots were with a canon FD lens on an adapter (and yes, i did set the stabilization for the manual lens). i assumed i'd be sending the camera to olympus repair.

in the evening, after recharging the battery and putting back the kit lens, every pic i had came out sharp and focused where i wanted them to be.

i'm completely mystified. anyone have ANY idea what could have caused all those incorrectly focused or sometimes soft pics in the morning and afternoon that would have "fixed" itself later?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Your out of focus shots. What was the shutter speed range? Was it like 1/80-1/160?

3. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    it does seem that the out of focus shots are mostly at about 1/80th to 1/125, although so are some of the pics where the wrong area is in focus. but the edges on the out of focus pics don't looked doubled - the pics just look out of focus to me, and a few aren't out of focus at 1/100th and 1/125th. i see that my mothers day pics are all over 1/200th - mostly over 1/500th. and my low light shots that were all in focus from late last night are mostly 1/20 to 1/50th.

does shutter shock happen with the kit lens?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm not sure, I just know that if I've every had any issues with shutter shock and IBIS, it's always been around 1/80-1/160.

I keep IBIS always off, except when my shutter speed gets too low to support 1/focal length*2 shooting.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Is shutter shock the same issue with the E-PM2 as it was with the E-PM1? I haven't noticed it yet. But, of course, that means nothing.

6. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i don't know, but i don't think it's that consistent. i had a G3 for a year, never had a problem with any of my lenses, but there are several guys on dpreview who had the problem with their G3s.

7. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    (later that same day...)
    i just went out and took a bunch of pics at 3 speeds each - 1/50th, 1/125th or 1/100th and 1/320ish to 1/500th, and they all came out fine - no blurring or weirdness. :confused:

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What lenses are you using? Just Oly kit, or others? What lenses are you using when you got the blur? Also, please post some images samples.