1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weight of camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nishendu, Sep 26, 2013.

1. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I recently traveled with my old EP 2 through Europe. I really enjoyed taking pictures but there was only one problem. The weight of the camera and the lens was enough to cause a slight ache in my shoulders as I carried the Camera around my neck for hours.
    I have looked at more advanced Olympus cameras but it appears that EM 1 is heavier than my camera. I wonder if it would be better to find some alternate type of straps to carry the camera or may be go with EP 5, which is also a lighter camera.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Try an E-PL5 - they don't get much lighter than that, except for cameras which have no physical controls like the Olympus E-PM2 or the Panasonic GF-3.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Which lens?

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That body is only 385g with card and battery...that's about as light as it gets...perhaps it's time for a compact for you.

I used to lug around a Canon 1D Mark III with the 16-35L II for 14-16 hours a day for weeks at a time haha...now THAT stuff was heavy! ;)

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Try putting the strap across your shoulder instead of around your neck.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The first thing I do when I buy a new camera is buy a decent strap for it.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd go with both Spatulaboy and Mikefellh's suggestions. First of all, get a better strap! Don't stick with the straps that come with your camera. Find something broader and cushier. Second of all, it doesn't have to go around your neck. Depending on the strap and how you carry or hold the camera, there are all kinds of configurations you could use. Diagonal across the shoulder might work if your strap is long enough, like a satchel (or you can also get straps specifically made to be worn like this, such as the Back Rapid strap). Or just hang it over one shoulder like a handbag.

8. Carrying a camera with the strap solely placed around my neck for long periods is usually not a good idea for me. I will often put one arm or the other through the loop when I am not using the camera frequently so that it sits across my body, or just carry the camera in my hand for a while with the strap looped around my fingers of wrist for security. Also if I have a small shoulder bag on me I'll just place the camera back inside it when not in use.

9. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I travel and wander a lot with my cameras and one thing I learned to never do is to carry a camera around my neck. Even a padded strap will quickly take its toll. As others have written, getting a wide and well padded strap and wearing that strap sling style is a lot easier on your body: the weight of the camera is distributed across your shoulder and chest rather than the back of your neck.

if you upper body is too fragile to bear even a padded sling strap, you might consider mounting the camera on your belt (& toss the neck strap for a wriststrap). Olympus makes an inexpensive pouch that fits your camera as long as your lens is small no you don't use an EVF:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Casua...d=1380243557&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+pen+case

If that violates your fashion sense--I own it and it is butt ugly--you might consider a rustic but manly Domke belt pouch:

http://www.amazon.com/Domke-710-30S...d=1380243683&sr=8-6&keywords=Domke+belt+pouch

If velco is too slow for you, the Capture Camera Clip can attach to a belt or strap and can be drawn a second or two faster than a pouch bound camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-C...380243809&sr=8-4&keywords=Capture+Camera+Clip

You can buy a smaller acra/capture plate for M43 cameras.

I've actually tried all of the above and found I prefer a small sling messenger (Retrospective 5) for carrying my E-P3. I felt too geeky with the belt mounts and pouches (plus awkward for hugging women and driving). However some guys love wearing a tool belt.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Optech neoprene straps are what you need.

Gordon

12. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I bought a strap from DSPTCH and its fantastic. Wear it sling style and no issues carrying around a E-M5 with 12-50 lens on it.

13. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Thanks! I now know what to do. Try a better strap and then look at other options. This also convinces me to not buy a heavier lens or camera. Only reason I bought EP 2 and kept it is that it is light and that way I take more pictures. May be Ep-5 would be a good addition in the future.