weekend trip to Belgium

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Janine4d, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

I went on a little weekend trip to the Ardennes in Belgium, here are the 3 best photos so far (I'm about halfway with going through the hundreds I took). Very nice landscape there. It was a holiday weekend and the touristy places were absolutely packed (with mostly dutchies), but we managed to find some more quiet places, taking our poor little car fearlessly up the hills. The images are geotagged on flickr in case you're interested in where I took them. All taken with the GF1 and 14mm pancake.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089286/" title="Shed by Janine4d, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="542" alt="Shed"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089170/" title="Sunny Village 2 by Janine4d, on Flickr">[​IMG]"773" height="1024" alt="Sunny Village 2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5805687996/" title="L'Ourthe by Janine4d, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="628" alt="L'Ourthe"></a>
    • Like Like x 9
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Janina,

good that you had a great time in my country :biggrin:
    The third pic is my favorite ! Have you considered cloning the High Voltage Pylones and lines out ?

C U
  3. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Nooo they're part of the landscape. :wink: I guess I have a fascination with those things... Ever since I was little they were always part of landscapes. Like mechanical trees.
  4. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Hi Jeanine,

You came to Belgium, and i was the weekend in Holland (Vrouwenpolder).
    Like nr 3 the best, what processing you made?

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Janine,

I enjoyed the entire set. In my instance I think my favorite is #3 also.

I do think you could produce one copy with high tension lines cloned away... just to see it.

Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.

6. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, beautiful pictures and processing...would be very interested in your workflow as well :smile:
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Like number 3, power lines and all.
  8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    No 3 is cracking, and I don't think the power lines do it any disservice.... very nice processing as well.
  9. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

thanks for the comments :smile:

I've done quite a bit of processing especially on the last one. I use Photoshop CS5 (and Adobe camera raw) for everything, no other software. I took 14 exposures in total, 7 underexposed and 7 overexposed. For the HDR merging I only used the 7 dark ones and one of the brighter ones. I didn't use the very bright ones since that turned the highlight on the water purple for some reason.

The darker ones are more important anyway to remove all the highlight clipping when shooting against the sun like that. But it looked unnatural when I completely removed all the clipped highlights from the sky, so I allowed myself some clipping at the brightest spots. The one brighter exposure was to bring back some detail in the very dark areas in the foreground.

I made two different 16bit tonemapped versions of the HDR - one with more contrast and with ghosting (for the water and the bright sky patches, ghosting for the streaks on the water) and another one with slightly less contrast for the rest.

After that I spent several hours adding filters to tweak the colours and contrast, selectively brightening and darkening, endless tweaking to fix some problem areas of the HDR toning (like half transparent tree edges for example)... Well, I've attached a collage of it all, because a picture says a lot more than words. ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3