Weddings ... oh the joy!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by RobWatson, May 31, 2013.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Gimmicky yes, but how many people can include something like that in their wedding Album

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hopefully, not many. And hopefully, most brides & grooms will not have such bad taste.

4. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Agreed. It's a really cool photo as part of the wedding album :)

5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    My only professional experience as a photographer has been motorsports, so I had a different client base however as a service industry isn't it up to the client what they want?

One's opinion doesn't necessarily make something in bad taste.

6. RobWatson

For a small fee I can bomb a dino into any photo! I checked and the domain "dinobombyourwedding.com" is available!

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Ha... I'm pretty sure you won't make back the registration costs, my point was give the client what they want. Look at this couple who is spending TONS of cash to do a themed wedding this weekend

Sean Parker wedding has Big Sur residents bracing for extravaganza - The Denver Post

8. RobWatson

9. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    i think it's fun and beats the boring, stuffy formals you're used to seeing in your everyday wedding albums. would i do it? no. but kudos to them for doing what they want.

10. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh NICE!!! You guys are close to us, bookmarked for our next event :)

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My point is all about taste, in particular good taste (or bad taste) ... yes, weddings should be fun, but weddings also mark a milestone in peoples lives and the joining of two families, as such a due amount of respect should be given.

How starving for attention are those that request a raging dinosaur be photoshopped into their wedding?

There is a time and place for everything.

Gary

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    But who decides the level of respect? We had all the cheesy staged shots at our wedding and my favorite shot is one a buddy took while we were messing around at the reception.

Wedding photography should be memories of the event for the couple to cherish not their families and Dinosaur aside, I'm pretty sure this couple will have great memories of getting this shot for years as opposed to the "Hey, why am I standing next to your 3rd cousin in this one"

Then again what do I know I'm of the camp that formal wedding photography should die a tragic death and that photojournalist style is the way to go.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A photoshopped dinosaur ... not a photojournalistic style make. Now, if the dinosaur isn't shopped ... that would be a different story.

I am sure that the wedding party also has the traditional images ... and I am the first to believe in creativity ... but in the non-artistic world, creativity needs to be used with a deliberate and in this case a small brush.

Gary

14. RobWatson

Book early - usually fully booked 3-4 months in advance.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have no issue with the idea of the photo (though it's not my taste), it's just too bad the dinosaur wasn't better integrated into the scene.

16. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    No I agree with you the Dinosaur was done pretty meh in this image and it doesn't scream wedding material but look at the expressions of the wedding party..

17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hahah... I think that's hilarious personally.

Obviously tastes differ on this one, but I think having a good sense of humor and not taking yourself too seriously is a virtue. I'm not suggesting your only wedding photos should have dinosaurs photoshopped into them, or that there isn't a good time and place for formal photos and dignified atmosphere. But... you can do all that and also have some fun too :smile:

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    What if they met waatching Jurassic park, a dino park, crappy creature features (hipsters, yeah). Then it's just referential and adorable. And custom. What comes with custom? CUSTOM PRICES! And Big Ol Prints! And lot's of em. If I was that photog, I'd say I can do that but you'll have to buy a wall print (or whatever yor big ticket item is) for a custom piece like that! That shot is a hipsters BOP for the mantle, and in 10 years wth some matuirity hopefully they'll come back for another more refined BOP, and maybe even order some smaller ones to remember the dino... Bravo and well played for that wedding photog.

19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Hah! Love it.

If ionly I knew someone with a pet T-Rex......

Gordon

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Totally agree. Weddings should be fun and memorable, this pic hits those notes.

I wouldn't want to see it biggie-sized over someone's mantle, but maybe that's just me.

With all the zombie geeks out there today I imagine the undead must be making appearances in wedding pics as well.