1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wedding with the OMD

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by F/Stop, Jun 23, 2013.

1. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Had a chance to take some pictures at a friends wedding. Although not the actual hired photographer, i did manage to document the wedding well with candids and some portraiture.

here is a link to the entire set
    An OMD Wedding

I learned that you can never have enough batteries....went through 2 batteries, one in camera and in grip. Died right before first kiss..:thumbup:

The second thing i learned is that I (WE) need a fast olympus zoom!!

Shot all with primes.

in a rush now, will post individual pics later:2thumbs:

2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I too tried to shoot at a friends wedding with primes and gave up, concentrating only on the guests at the reception.
    Hope Oly does something to rectify the missing zoom soon. It's long overdue now.
    M

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Beautiful shots man... made good use of your primes.

Btw, a second body would be a big help if you want to stick to primes and shoot at events. Otherwise, the Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 are the lenses you need.

4. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    We have two fast zooms in the system that work very well, manufactured by the other main partner in m43, Panasonic. The 12-35 in particular is outstanding. I'm not sure what exactly is missing?

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    A Silver metal bodied fast zoom lens I guess :happy-084: :wink:

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Great shots.

Terrible beer selection at the reception though...

What primes did you use?

7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    What's missing is a lens from Olympus without built in ois like the panasonic. And I'll buy it. Maybe a lens faster than 2.8 as we. Sorry I did not make myself clear. I know of the panasonic versions but I'd rather spend that kind of money on a better optic than paying for built in ois.

The primes were 12 17 25 75mm.

8. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    Great shots! Keep the awesome work

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    The optics on both the 12-35 and 35-100 are excellent and both can be shot wide open.

They may be cheaper without OIS if built for the oly but that is not certain. Panasonic has made the benchmark for how much people are willing to pay so oly may just run with that also. Will be interesting to see.

I just leave OIS off and know that if I want to use a panny body in the future (maybe a GH3 for video) I'm all set with these two lenses whereas using olympus glass on the panny bodies offers no stabilisation.

10. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I am almost ready to purchase the 35-100 but I'm still holding out to see if Olympus does anything before forth quarter 2013. I haven't seen any good examples of the 35-100 wide open portrait/wedding shots. I'd like to see a Olympus 16-35 equiv. before a 24-70.

11. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    two of my favorites
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Very nice shots! :)

13. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    What makes you a think a fast zoom from olympus will be any cheaper than a panny, even without OIS, just look at the prices of the 12 and 75mm

14. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    ..since a "fast" zoom from panasonic is already on the market, they should theoretically compete with their prices..so i wont have the trouble paying the money for a lens from olympus designed for their cameras.:drinks:

unlike the 12 and 75 (which only olympus has, therefore they can put a premium on their lenses)

15. Rickp

Rickp New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2013
    I shoot Panasonic gh3 with 12-35 and 35-100 both excellent lenses comparable to my canon 70 to 200 is , use at 2.8 or f4 almost always.

16. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I'm headed to a wedding reception this evening with a Panasonic GX1, an Oly 45-150mm lens and a 14mm, both of which arrive in the mail about two hours before the event. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm just attending and want to get a few nice shots for the couple.