Wedding photography with micro 4/3

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
So the Metz 58 af2 vs the FL600r whats 'awesome' about it and what's not?

The guide number is higher, so a have a bit more control on output. Whats really cool on the 58 af is the small fill flash on the front, I use the hotshoe flashes looking straight up with a gary fong diffuser (I swear by the thing) and put a piece of half cloud scotch tape on front of the fill for diffusion. The light that comes out of the thing is beautiful. Very broad and even. The fl600 is not a bad unit, but I find the head to small, narrow would be a better word, in fact it doesn't even fit the universal gary fong diffuser, and (I guess) because of that light sometimes comes out to direct.

41UmW0D-RFL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the budget doesn't allow for a GH3 (I'm jealous lisandra) so the OMD sounds like a good main camera and the GH2 as a backup. As for macro; couldn't I just use the 35-100mm?

I'm just going to reiterate that a 12-35 and 35-100 is a must and then should I get the 7-14 or the 75mm 1.8? I've read that photographers have gotten away with just a 50mm and a 70-200 during wedding shoots but I'm not that good yet.

Another camera body option I was considering was the G5 but I don't know it compared to the dynamic range of the OMD.

How does the GH3 and OMD compare in image quality and dynamic?
ive gotten away with exactly that: a 50mm and a zoom, but its risky and its wll about being prepared. If you know where youre going and have a laid out idea of what youre gonna do you wont take a bazillion lenses you wont need. This one wedding I knew what I wanted but didnt know if where I wanted to stand was gonna be available. Its a busy place on the busiest day of the week, so I brought the 14-140. It turned out to be 41mm but thats besides the point. The points is location dictates a lot. In some plqces the 7-14 is just gonna be bag weight, in others its gonna be majestic.
Heres that 14-140 shot

8478618280_e89bd86005_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Any gear can shoot weddings. I know a top end photographer who shot with nothing more than a single M6 and a 50mm for several years. I know of photographers shooting exclusively with the Fuji X system and other photographers shooting weddings with m4/3 (including myself).

I'm in no way saying you can't. I'd just assume the B/G know his style and that he probably had two M6s and two 50mm. There are many more creative people than I that can produce incredible images with much less than I have.

I'm just saying experience and backup. Backups you can control. Experience takes time and you don't have to necessarily experience the bad to know how to adjust and adapt. You just need to be comfortable enough to know how and what the impact might be later in the day.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I'M more a prime lens shooter than a zoom one. I never shot a wedding with a 24-70mm. For the bride's entrance into the church, I usually have a 35mm on a body and a 70-200 on the other body. For the ceremony, I try to never use flash and go with natural light (but sometimes, it's not possible) so I'm mostly using primes (14-35-50-85mm). I'm moving toward micro-4/3 at the moment but I will still shoot with one 5DII as my main and with the OM-D as second body this season and will re-evaluate in october. I plan on doing a wedding as a third shooter with only micro-4/3 primes to see how it goes.
Besides the entrance, wedding are slow-paced events (if you are used to them) so I don't see the necessity of zoom lens for them. Two bodies with a wide angle and a medium telephoto will give you a lot of versatility.

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
I'M more a prime lens shooter than a zoom one. I never shot a wedding with a 24-70mm. For the bride's entrance into the church, I usually have a 35mm on a body and a 70-200 on the other body. For the ceremony, I try to never use flash and go with natural light (but sometimes, it's not possible) so I'm mostly using primes (14-35-50-85mm). I'm moving toward micro-4/3 at the moment but I will still shoot with one 5DII as my main and with the OM-D as second body this season and will re-evaluate in october. I plan on doing a wedding as a third shooter with only micro-4/3 primes to see how it goes.
Besides the entrance, wedding are slow-paced events (if you are used to them) so I don't see the necessity of zoom lens for them. Two bodies with a wide angle and a medium telephoto will give you a lot of versatility.
I really disagree, primes on a wedding is far from ideal. While they seem to be slow paced, theres just too much going on to rely on a prime. And changing between 4 lenses seems very inefficient.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I really disagree, primes on a wedding is far from ideal. While they seem to be slow paced, theres just too much going on to rely on a prime. And changing between 4 lenses seems very inefficient.

If you're a prime shooter you don't just sit there swapping lenses in a fast-paced environment. You bring more bodies when you don't have time to change lenses. A good photographer shooting zooms in a fast paced environment also has to do the same thing (just like Talanis mentioned doing with his 24-70 and 70-200mm - a very common combination of zooms), but with zooms you may for instance only need two bodies where you would need three with primes. Not a big deal, since primes are lighter to carry. No, you're not saving a bunch of weight from the smaller primes when you're carrying a bunch of extra bodies, but that's not the point. The point is that there are many appropriate ways of doing things in photography and there are skills and techniques for each method which makes them work. It doesn't matter if your preferences or the lenses you own consists of zooms or primes... or both. What matters is that you have the proper skills and techniques to use what you have.

I don't think anybody would go to a wedding or any kind of non-studio event, with 4 prime lenses and use them on only 1 body.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon

It depends on how your brain works. For you primes may be inneficient but for some they remove extraneous options and allow us to use smaller and lighter gear. The only zoom I use at a wedding is the Panny 12-35 for the processional and some of the reception. Otherwise all primes. Although I do carry much more I can easily shoot an entire wedding with a 21, 50, 90 and 135mm lenses (in 35mm format), plus a macro. You're likely to see me with a 50mm on one body and a 135mm on another than any other lens combination. Why? Because that's the way i see the world. If I were to use zooms they'd be used at those focal lengths most of the time anyway.

I've used various 70-200mm lenses over the years but eventually, they all just end up taking space up in the bag.

Gordon

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, 50mm on one body and 135mm on another has long been a favorite of mine as well. :) 85mm and 200mm are another good combination for me.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote

Then we will have to disagree. Primes are ideal for me or someone who knows how to use them. I' m less lazy with primes and they push me to be more creative. I did a small poll two weeks ago in a professional photography group that we have here in Quebec and to my surprise, over 2/3 of the people were shooting weddings with primes.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
If your style is with primes and that's what your client reviewed when they booked you I see nothing wrong with it. If your a zoom shooter and wake up the morning of an event and say "I'm only going to bring 3 primes with me today", well that's another story. Neither is right or wrong. But in either case you need the equipment for your style and backups to cover it.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
If your style is with primes and that's what your client reviewed when they booked you I see nothing wrong with it. If your a zoom shooter and wake up the morning of an event and say "I'm only going to bring 3 primes with me today", well that's another story. Neither is right or wrong. But in either case you need the equipment for your style and backups to cover it.

+1

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
Im not saying is not doable, im saying its inconvenient. I mean, youd have to have more than two bodies with you at least. A 50 and a 135 on two bodies? great, but now all of the sudden bride and family are doing something together worth shooting and you certainly cant fit them in that 50mm so now what?
Look, I think we're mixing things here, its not that you shouldnt have preferences or styles of shooting but sometimes its just not about us. In a studio or on location heck you can bring just one lens if youre confident. Weddings are such events that are maybe 40% us, its much less of who we are artistically (ironically what we got hired for in the first place) and more of who we can be as photojournalist. Every wedding photographer that has posted here has probably gone through it: the hands down favorite photo is never the one you expect it to be, but rather a random shot that has an emotional story (often you dont know why) behind it. To you it seems snapshot even.
So i can concede on this: theres always a small session between ceremony and reception where you can be as creative as you want, in those cases I almost always use primes, an 85mm sounds perfect. In the ceremony itself a prime and a zoom go great, you can move around with that prime and zoom when you need to. But in the reception and such versatility is priceless. You have to be able to be wide angle, tele and everything in between real fast.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
Once again, I disagree. It's not inconvenient at all and if you chose your lens carefully for whatever part of the event you are in, you won't have any problem. Maybe it's because of the lack of good zooms in the film world when I started but I will always prefer primes. I'm not saying I never use zoom lens but I don't NEED a zoom lens to do an excellent job else I would only use a 24-70 and a 70-200 and it would be a lot cheaper than all the primes I use :p

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
Im not saying is not doable, im saying its inconvenient. I mean, youd have to have more than two bodies with you at least. A 50 and a 135 on two bodies? great, but now all of the sudden bride and family are doing something together worth shooting and you certainly cant fit them in that 50mm so now what?
Look, I think we're mixing things here, its not that you shouldnt have preferences or styles of shooting but sometimes its just not about us. In a studio or on location heck you can bring just one lens if youre confident. Weddings are such events that are maybe 40% us, its much less of who we are artistically (ironically what we got hired for in the first place) and more of who we can be as photojournalist. Every wedding photographer that has posted here has probably gone through it: the hands down favorite photo is never the one you expect it to be, but rather a random shot that has an emotional story (often you dont know why) behind it. To you it seems snapshot even.
So i can concede on this: theres always a small session between ceremony and reception where you can be as creative as you want, in those cases I almost always use primes, an 85mm sounds perfect. In the ceremony itself a prime and a zoom go great, you can move around with that prime and zoom when you need to. But in the reception and such versatility is priceless. You have to be able to be wide angle, tele and everything in between real fast.

You know, I don't totally disagree with you. I used to be obsessed with being ready for anything. I was the swiss army knife of wedding photographers. It's a valid approach. The only disagreement I have is that it's the only approach.

My shooting partner is mostly a zoom guy. 24-70 on one shoulder 70-200 on the other. I shot that way for years. But now I work differently. At the reception I will select a couple of lenses based on the circumstances. The 75mm 1.8 stays basically glued to one body and then I'll choose a second lens based on the size of the room. Sometimes it's a 50mm equiv, sometimes 35mm. A couple of small lenses in a waist bag and I'm good to go. And you know what. Sometimes stick a 24-70 equiv (the 12-35) because I just need a rest.

A big part of why I choose primes is the same as why I choose m4/3 as my AF system. I prefer smaller cameras and lenses. m4/3 zooms aren't huge but the primes are smaller still. And I combine that with some Leica primes and I can carry 6 lenses in a belt pack. That makes me less obtrousive than a huge 70-200. I can shoot in close all Ninja like. I can move freely. I'm not a stand in one spot and shoot long kind of guy. I like to move, a lot. Small is good.

When I was the swiss army knife guy I carried a ton of gear. I was ready for anything. The problem was that I don't think I was as focused as I could be and the gear was getting in the way. Zooms make it easy for me to be sloppy and lazy. Primes keep me on my toes.

You mentioned capturing fleeting moments. After nearly a thousand weddings I no longer worry about what I miss. I worry about what I capture. Brides and Grooms don't miss them. They can't even remember them and I've done enough to know that certain things are likely to happen at certain times. You know that you're going to have a high chance of a nice moment between the bride and her dad either after his speech or the second dance when she dances with him. So you put the appropriate lens on and you put youself in a place where you can see them both and react appropriately.

I'm far more likely to capture moments with a pair of rangefiners and a couple of primes than I am with any complex AF system camera. In a dim reception I'm significantly faster with a manual focus Leica and a mechanical prime than I am with a viewfinder that only shows the scene wide open and only when it finds focus. It's because I'm on alert when I'm using simple gear and primes.

I certainly understand that I'm in the minority when it comes to how I approach weddings but I've done the zoom thing and it didn't work as well for me as shooting with primes.

Bizzarely, I got back into m4/3 to have a small set of zooms to compliment my Leica, manual focus primes. My kit was going to be what I recommended on the first page. A 12-35, 7-14, 35-100 and a macro. What I ended up with is exactly one zoom for weddings (I've got more but I don't take them or have them as a backup) and a bag of AF primes. I couldn't help myself. After 20 years I suppose I'm just an old dog.

Gordon

Gordon

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
Agreed, the real secret formula is being prepared. Ha! The swiss army thing reminded me of my first big wedding all those years ago, I must have brought about 30 pounds worth of gear! Now my philosophy is 2 primes, 2 zooms, 2 bodies, if I need more then I need more people

tol1l1yboy

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, 50mm on one body and 135mm on another has long been a favorite of mine as well. :) 85mm and 200mm are another good combination for me.

I loved the 35/135mm combination.

Always good to have a 70-200mm with you just in case too but I almost never used my 85mm shooting weddings. I relied on the 35/135 most of the time :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom