1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

wedding: need advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thomisus, Sep 25, 2013.

1. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Hi, i'm going to shoot some photos for a friend at her wedding.
    My camera is a Panasonic GH2, my primes are 14/2.5, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, my zooms 7-14/4.0 and 35-100/2.8
    The room where will take place the wedding is attached below ( a 6 p.m. )
    Which lenses do you recommend?
    I tought to mainly shoot whit 25/1.4 and use 45/1.8 for portrait.
    Do you think a need a flash?

PS: image below was not taken by me but found in internet

Attached Files:

2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    do you have a back up camera? some pens are quite cheap...

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I shot my nephew's wedding with the 17/1.8, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 inside a tent in the evening. No flash. Worked okay, but really exercised IBIS and ISO capabilities.

I used the 12-35 before the sun set for the outdoor ceremony.

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I would just go to the setting and test it myself beforehand. There are alot of factors that go into wedding photogrpahy besides the lenses and bodies. Personally, I would have the 14 on one body and the 45 or 35-100 on another body, light permitting. Also, some priests don't allow flash photography.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    You may find a high-power flash and a bounce card VERY useful.

6. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    No, i don't have a backup camera.. which pen do you recommend? I found a GF3 for 99euros or a G3 for 179, cause i'm used to panasonic menus.

7. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    It's not possibile for me to go to the setting before the ceremony, but i can use flash because we're not in a church a no priests around ;)

8. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Yeah, i tought about metz 52 af-1

9. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Grrr, I hate when you can't scout location..oh well. I would use ISO800 and f/stops around 1.8 - 2.8 whenever possible based on your above photo of the location. With the image quality of today's cameras at higher ISO's, I might even try ISO1200 to get some faster shutter speeds. Since flash is an option...maybe get a couple of flashes and trigger them remotely? Put them in the corners and either bounce them up or put them up high if possible.

10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Dispersing the light from the flash unit will avoid hotspots on noses, chins, foreheads, and cheek bones and well as reducing the irritation from the subjects.

11. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    From the look of it this is a venue where on-camera bounce flash will work well, bounce high off the opposite wall from the windows if the light gets too low. I can't tell you enough how much difference this has made for me at a couple of my friends weddings recently.

Oh, definitely take the 35-100 for tighter shots of guests from a distance...

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Find a rental house for your second body, get the best sensor you can find like the EM's or GH's. Here in the US they're easy to find, not sure wherever your location is. Get some monolights you can control from your position, or if put them in the corners and try to distribute the light in area's you'll need them note the apertures you'll need for the different lighted areas as you finish set up, or some quantum flashes that have the qttl module if you have some help that can bring them around or a nice light easy to use light stand. Bouncing in that hall might be bad with a standard hot shoe flash, it looks to maybe have some red casts, and sharp reflections, and get some CTO gels for whatever your lighting ends up being to match the color. I have a feeling the ambient light temp will be pretty low, and having white hot light hitting the subjects will be kind of weird.

Get there early. and remember always make the bride look good. Youtube up some posing help.

13. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Unfortunately here in Italy it's almost impossible to rent m43 bodies ( don't know prices in us, but the only one i found here, rent for a weekend is about 150$).
    I think i'll get for sure the Metz 52 AF ( i read it works well with m43 ) and i'll try to find a second body used or some deal.
    Light stands aren't an option because i'm a guest too and i don't want to carry around too much stuff :)

14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Before buying the Metz 52 AF, makes sure that the AF assist light in the flash works with the GH2. I have a Metz AF 50 and the flash's AF assist light does not function with any of my µ4/3 cameras, only 4/3 cameras. If it doesn't work with your camera there will be no body AF assist light either, because it will detect the flash. The camera's AF becomes very slow in low ambient light levels, so an AF assist light is very important.

15. thomisus

thomisus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Hi, i ended up buying Metz 52 AF. The flash af light didn't work with gh2 but camera af light worked.
    I brought with me my little bag with gh2, 35-100, 25, 45 and 7-14 just to be sure.
    I used 35-100 for the ceremony and 25 for the dinner and the party.
    I had mixed feelings about gh2..
    I took some really good shots ( in my opinion ) with both 35-100 and 25.. some other shots ( many ) are badly out of focus.. 25mm is super fast at focus even in low light, 35-100 is slower and missed too much.. don't know if with gh3 or om-d is faster.

Another weak point of this combo is GH2 color rendition with raw and lightroom. Lightroom default settings for skin tones are very bad, particularly under eyes and on lips ( too much reddish ). It's easy fixable moving red hue +15 and magenta +30 and applying on import..

16. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Also with Panasonic flashes, af aid lamp works only with 4/3 cameras but not with u4/3.

Does color rendition is equally bad for pictures with and without flash? If only with flash that you have to learn how to work with flash. Lately I was also taking pictures on similar ceremony for my family. And I'm completely unhappy with results I had for pictures with flash. I have analyzed them, took some experimenting and I know what I have done wrong. Hope on next occasion I'll do better. But I guess better result will come with more practice.

17. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Doesn't matter whay brand flash you used. Metz, Olympus, Panasonic. The AF illuminator in the flash will not function on the GH2 because it will only default to the one in the camera.

Gordon

18. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    bring the 25, 35-100
    and a backup with a 17 1.8 or even a compact will do imo. flash not necessarily needed, I don't mind using high iso in weddings.

I always bring two bodies to weddings.

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm not a pro, and I've only shot a few weddings, but weddings are hard work to do well! Even with great gear and fast glass, and being very familiar with it, it can be challenging to get the shots you want. I don't think that's down to focussing speed or accuracy but down to the photographer to make sure you get the shot you want. Usually shoot this kind of thing with the 5DII and fast primes (the risk there is too little depth of field, making nailing focus hard. And no, it's not because of the 5D's supposed 'poor AF', the fault is mine if I miss the shot), last wedding I shot a combo of the 5DII (35L, Sigma 50/1.4 and 135L) and the E-M5 (12-35). Both made great images, though the 5D always blows me away for these types of shots.

I only ever shoot ambient/natural light, and the weddings I've shot, I've done as favors, and always as a second/backup shooter. I don't have real experience with (or particular interest in learning) flash photography, and I'm comfortable with poor natural lighting and a bit of post processing.